Triac unepected operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin_t

Hi

I have an application where a Triac (BTA16-600B) is used to switch the live line to a 25W 240VAC motor.
The triac is switched by an optocoupler (MOC3052G) which is switched by a microcontroller.
I have attached an image of the schematic and the pinout of the Triac.

The motor has 3 wires in total, this switched live, a neutral connection and a 3rd wire with a capacitor connected between it and neutral (changing the 3rd wire and neutral changes the motor direction).

As can be seen, applying 230 VAC though the switched optocoupler to the gate (G) terminal should make a connection between A1 and A2 applying live to the motor and allowing it to run.

I have noticed on some PCBs from the manufacturer, the triac was inserted in the opposite direction where the A1 pin is connected to the optocoupler and G connected to the motor.
The wierd thing is that the motor runs in this configuration and has been used in some applications like this. The switching on/off of the optocoupler still switches on/off the motor.

Could it be that the G is being activated by current through the motor windings from the neutral connection and the power to the motor is beign switched through the optocoupler?

Not totally sure what is going on but if anyone can shed a little light it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Justin

Attachments

• Triac schematic 23 April 10.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 361
A TRIAC shouldn't work with the gate and anode connections reversed, I don't know what's going on.

I'd suggest you change your manufacturer, because they should have quality controls in place which should prevent this kind of inconsistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…