Trouble finding superregen parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam2

I want to build this superregen,https://www.jbgizmo.com/page23.html#schematic I have orderd all the parts from Mouser except these:

( IC1) Mouser part # 513-NJM386BD ( the online part search lists it as obsolete), can I use Digikey part # LM386N-4-ND as a replacement?

(C5,C11) Mouser part #? 140-CD50V2-202Z( the online parts search lists this as an invalid part #)

(R6) Mouser part # 323-409H-10K ( Mouser will only sell these in lots of 1000)at .40 each that adds up. Is there a replacment for this part?

I dont know enough about electronics to swap parts. I did try to compare data sheets for different parts , but am just not sure what values are important.
Thank you, Sam2

Last edited:
the first part you mention, with 386, is an audio amp chip, just search mouser for LM386 and get one with a DIP-8 package

the second part is a 0.002 uF capacitor (presumably ceramic?) ... just get any ceramic cap with the same number (capacitance)

the third part is a 10k potentiometer or "pot" or "variable resistor" ... any 10k 1/4w pot will work. if it's being used in the audio amp stage, probably want an audio-taper or log-taper

Your Parts

Any 386, 8 pin amplifier will work. It is produced by multiple vendors with different part numbers. You should be able to buy this at a local electronics store.

C5 and C11 are also known as 2000pf caps. The common size is 2200 pf. Try Mouser 80-C315C222M1U5TA

R6, the volume control, can be any trimmer that will fit on the board. Look at the measurements and check other vendors for a similar unit. There are just a few standard sizes in use. Volume controls are typically log rather than linear curve units, but that is less important.

I hope you have a source for the circuitboard. As these frequencies it is difficult to wire up a circuit using point-to-point wire or a protoboard.

check out manhattan style prototyping, which is the 'recommended' way to prototype RF circuits

**broken link removed**

Thank you justDIY and bobledoux.
I was going to use a small radio shack board, and use point to point wire as you say. If that will not work, can I use one of the kits for ethcing your own PC board?
justDIY, thanks for the site.

Thanks,Sam2

Last edited:
Uncle Scrooge ,just for you, I almost titled my post" Oh No! Another crappy superregen.
I have been lurking here for a short time and have read yours and others posts to the nutty superregen guy.Some funny stuff in those posts.

It might be a peice of junk to you , but being a beginner, its all exciting stuff for me.I wanted a cheap, easy to make project that would teach me some of the basics of radio/electronic circuts. I know almost nothing.

I started out just wanting to build a aviation receiver and have orderd a super heterodyne kit, but saw these plans and thought it would be fun to try.

Thanks , Sam2

Sam, dont worry about Audioguru, he just has an irrational downer on superregen receivers.

When you get your receiver working, you will discover its limitations and understand why super regen receivers are not used for serious applications.

The "nutty .. guy" as you refer to him just would not take good advice!

Have fun.

JimB

What a coincedence. After hiding for months, guess who is back but on another forum with a slightly changed name?

Yes, it is MStechca. His super-regen still isn't working: "What I wanted was a radio where I can change the stations, not have it change stations itself."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…