Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to get best Motherboard CPU combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

I have two intel motherboards and two intel cpus.

I am wondering which combination may be fasteror is it a wash.

The two cpus are:
Intel core 2 duo E7500 @ 2.93ghz
Intel core 2 quad Q8300 @ 2.50ghz

The two motherboards are:
MSI G41M-25
MSI DG43RK

Any comment would be helpful.

So the Q8300 would be almost twice as fast as the E7500
Only when you have software that can utilize the four cores. I recently swapped my dual core for a quad running at the same frequency, and the difference was pretty subtle for most work. Also notice that on modern processors you rarely have 100% cpu load, or even 100% load on one core.
If you do computation intensive stuff, then a quad core is the way to go, but for something more data intensive that needs lots of disk accesses I would rather invest into an SSD.

Last edited:
Only when you have software that can utilize the four cores.

True - mind you, if I have any graphics rendering / video encoding etc etc then I send it off to one of my servers - both of which have quad cores and are running Linux.

99% of the time they are sitting at idle and the other 1% of the time they are sitting at 400% ........

Thanks picbits and kubeek.

I am afraid my benchmark is no quite so scientific. I go by the length of time it takes my computer to load Windows XP Pro from a cold start. This is why your comments are so helpful.

Presently, I am running the E7500 with the DG43RK motherboard. I just happen to come into possession of the other components for very little money.

The chances are you wouldn't notice much difference between the two on a times windows xp bootup as the bottleneck will be with the hard drive - not the processor.

Thanks, all.

I guess I'll stay with my current setup and use the extra components for a web server.

In the future, prehaps I'll look to moving up to a 64 bit system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back