Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

turned pin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an advantage to using this type of connector? Better electrical connection?
I have one on a right angle connector for my Gyoscope on my bot and i found it rather hard to push the pins in the machined posts. I had to use a cheaper socket in between the Gyro and the Right angle socket.
~Mike

MrMikey83 said:
Is there an advantage to using this type of connector? Better electrical connection?
I have one on a right angle connector for my Gyoscope on my bot and i found it rather hard to push the pins in the machined posts. I had to use a cheaper socket in between the Gyro and the Right angle socket.
~Mike

Personally I've never liked turned pin sockets, but with one exception!.

I fit them on all my working PIC's, and leave them permanently attached like that. I then fit normal DIL sockets on my project boards, the straight pins on the turned pin socket make it easy to insert and remove the PIC from the board. As a bonus it obviously protects the PIC pins from any damage, and if you break a pin off the turned pin socket you simply fit a new socket on the PIC - however, I've NEVER broken a pin off a socket in all my years of using PIC's.

It's so simple, so easy to do, and so reliable, it makes ICSP a waste of time and pins - far easier to be able to use all the I/O pins without any restrictions or complications.

Nigel, a very clever approach for protecting PIC pins Sir...

Mike, I like the machined pin sockets though I suspect they're not any more reliable than standard sockets... They have a nice open area in the middle that's often convenient for installing bypass caps' or 1/8w resistors to save some board space... I've also used single-in-line machined sockets for a 28-40 pin prototype board which turned out pretty well (fuzzy picture below) and you might notice the MAX202/ST202 machined socket has all five capacitors installed inside the open space in the socket (the MAX202, ST202, or MAX232A transceivers are the same as a MAX232 transceiver except they work with miniature 0.1uf caps)...

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• proto_28-40_board.jpg
    proto_28-40_board.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 707
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back