turned pin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an advantage to using this type of connector? Better electrical connection?
I have one on a right angle connector for my Gyoscope on my bot and i found it rather hard to push the pins in the machined posts. I had to use a cheaper socket in between the Gyro and the Right angle socket.
~Mike

Personally I've never liked turned pin sockets, but with one exception!.

I fit them on all my working PIC's, and leave them permanently attached like that. I then fit normal DIL sockets on my project boards, the straight pins on the turned pin socket make it easy to insert and remove the PIC from the board. As a bonus it obviously protects the PIC pins from any damage, and if you break a pin off the turned pin socket you simply fit a new socket on the PIC - however, I've NEVER broken a pin off a socket in all my years of using PIC's.

It's so simple, so easy to do, and so reliable, it makes ICSP a waste of time and pins - far easier to be able to use all the I/O pins without any restrictions or complications.

Nigel, a very clever approach for protecting PIC pins Sir...

Mike, I like the machined pin sockets though I suspect they're not any more reliable than standard sockets... They have a nice open area in the middle that's often convenient for installing bypass caps' or 1/8w resistors to save some board space... I've also used single-in-line machined sockets for a 28-40 pin prototype board which turned out pretty well (fuzzy picture below) and you might notice the MAX202/ST202 machined socket has all five capacitors installed inside the open space in the socket (the MAX202, ST202, or MAX232A transceivers are the same as a MAX232 transceiver except they work with miniature 0.1uf caps)...

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• proto_28-40_board.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 708
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…