Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turning a positive vref into a negative reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

I have a 4.096V reference for a ADC and I'd like a -4.096V reference for the -VREF on the ADC.
Question would an OpAmp do the trick or do you have a better suggestion / idea?

An op amp connected as a unity gain inverter will work well. Depending on the accuracy you require, you may need a low offset, low noise op amp, and precision resistors (perhaps 0.1% tolerance, or 1% resistors with a trimpot) to accurately generate the voltage level.

There are other methods, such as a flying capacitor switch, to invert the voltage, but that is more complex and has its own accuracy and noise concerns.

I don't see why you need a negative reference, you can easily bias an ADC input so it can measure negative voltages.

Can the Vref be wired like a zener?
I.E.
Vref Vdd to +supply,
Vref Output to ADC Gnd,
Vref Gnd to ADC -Vref plus a resistor to -supply

Mike.

Opamp will introduce inaccuracies unless you get something with nice DC specs. If it is a shunt reference I would to what Pommie suggests and just use two.

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

in order to invert an OpAmp for negative output you must use a negative supply voltage anyway. Use an LM7905L and trim the output to the desired value.

Regards

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back