Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV Remote Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrix

I have tried testing my remotes (IR) earlier, by a very impractical method..I used to use a laser beam and intercept the path of the IR beam sent by the remote. As it turns out, I am never sure of my conclusions :oops:

So I want to develop a nice little Remote Sensor, by which I can easily test my remotes

Electrix said:
I have tried testing my remotes (IR) earlier, by a very impractical method..I used to use a laser beam and intercept the path of the IR beam sent by the remote. As it turns out, I am never sure of my conclusions :oops:

So I want to develop a nice little Remote Sensor, by which I can easily test my remotes

Check my website at for an excellent (and simple) remote tester.

I built one very similar to Nigels, using a IR module from a old VCR. It is powered from a 9 Volt battery, and housed in a old walwart ( AC adapter ) case. I used a piece of the VCR's window for a lens. The battery has lasted for years. Very handy. There are 2 LED's , one to tell you it is on, and the other that blinks with the data from the remote.

Attachments

• img_0140.jpg
    img_0140.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,193
Try putting the remote near an AM radio that is not tuned to a station.
Low-Tech but it works.

How about this little circuit?

Attachments

• ir-det.gif
    ir-det.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,469
Electrix said:
I used to use a laser beam and intercept the path of the IR beam sent by the remote.

I didn't understand that at all, what were you trying?

but how about just using a video camera? Most of them are sensitive to IR and they just show up as bright white spots on the camera when working.

Another way - my son (with lots of my help) built a Light Listener that was described in a Radio Shack science fair booklet. It was a photocell (resistance varied with light), a 741 op amp and 386 audio amp. The cell was apparently quite responsive to the IR output of a remote control. With it you could "hear" the output, the modulation, etc - also could hear the buzz of fluorescent lamps, odd sounds from a candle flame, etc. While not as simple as what Nigel describes it's an alternative.

stevez said:
Another way - my son (with lots of my help) built a Light Listener that was described in a Radio Shack science fair booklet. It was a photocell (resistance varied with light), a 741 op amp and 386 audio amp. The cell was apparently quite responsive to the IR output of a remote control. With it you could "hear" the output, the modulation, etc - also could hear the buzz of fluorescent lamps, odd sounds from a candle flame, etc. While not as simple as what Nigel describes it's an alternative.

Sounds like a nice project for electronics beginners like me. Any idea what the circuit looked like, especially between the op-amp and the audio amp?

Joel - I'll have to see if I still have the schematic at home. If so, I'll scan it and email it to you. I am tempted to build another one myself - as a tool to have in the workshop.

Even if I can't come up with the schematic it can't be that hard to duplicate. I've seen schematics for 741 preamps followed by 386 audio amps - only thing to do is interface the cell with the op amp.

Hey Stevez,

I've searched around, and the closest I found is a high school project connecting a photocell more or less directly to amplified computer speakers...

I'll check for a basic op-amp/audio amp circuit, shouldn't be too hard to figure out a working circuit.

Thanks for the idea!

crust said:
Electrix said:
I used to use a laser beam and intercept the path of the IR beam sent by the remote.

I didn't understand that at all, what were you trying?

but how about just using a video camera? Most of them are sensitive to IR and they just show up as bright white spots on the camera when working.

Sorry for the late reply..I've been busy.

Alright, I read this piece of information that said that in the presence of a laser beam, it is possible to detect an IR beam (having sufficient intensity). Although I must admit, I am not entirely confident of this theory, there seems to be a wide agreement on this :roll: . Personally, I found this cumbersome and foolish !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back