TV Remote Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrix

I have tried testing my remotes (IR) earlier, by a very impractical method..I used to use a laser beam and intercept the path of the IR beam sent by the remote. As it turns out, I am never sure of my conclusions

So I want to develop a nice little Remote Sensor, by which I can easily test my remotes

Check my website at for an excellent (and simple) remote tester.

I built one very similar to Nigels, using a IR module from a old VCR. It is powered from a 9 Volt battery, and housed in a old walwart ( AC adapter ) case. I used a piece of the VCR's window for a lens. The battery has lasted for years. Very handy. There are 2 LED's , one to tell you it is on, and the other that blinks with the data from the remote.

Attachments

• img_0140.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,193
hotwaterwizard said:
How about this little circuit?

I used one similar to that for years, the snag with it is that it doesn't detect the modulation, and it's also prone to false triggering by sunlight.

Electrix said:
I used to use a laser beam and intercept the path of the IR beam sent by the remote.

I didn't understand that at all, what were you trying?

but how about just using a video camera? Most of them are sensitive to IR and they just show up as bright white spots on the camera when working.

Another way - my son (with lots of my help) built a Light Listener that was described in a Radio Shack science fair booklet. It was a photocell (resistance varied with light), a 741 op amp and 386 audio amp. The cell was apparently quite responsive to the IR output of a remote control. With it you could "hear" the output, the modulation, etc - also could hear the buzz of fluorescent lamps, odd sounds from a candle flame, etc. While not as simple as what Nigel describes it's an alternative.

Sounds like a nice project for electronics beginners like me. Any idea what the circuit looked like, especially between the op-amp and the audio amp?

Joel - I'll have to see if I still have the schematic at home. If so, I'll scan it and email it to you. I am tempted to build another one myself - as a tool to have in the workshop.

Even if I can't come up with the schematic it can't be that hard to duplicate. I've seen schematics for 741 preamps followed by 386 audio amps - only thing to do is interface the cell with the op amp.

Hey Stevez,

I've searched around, and the closest I found is a high school project connecting a photocell more or less directly to amplified computer speakers...

I'll check for a basic op-amp/audio amp circuit, shouldn't be too hard to figure out a working circuit.

Thanks for the idea!

Sorry for the late reply..I've been busy.

Alright, I read this piece of information that said that in the presence of a laser beam, it is possible to detect an IR beam (having sufficient intensity). Although I must admit, I am not entirely confident of this theory, there seems to be a wide agreement on this :roll: . Personally, I found this cumbersome and foolish !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…