Two inverting gates

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilimike

What is the purpose of two inverting gates when they are connected one after the other?

For say U2C and U2D in the schematic from this post

If it inverts twice it ends up with the same signal as the input doesn't it?

Mike

What is the purpose of two inverting gates when they are connected one after the other?

If it inverts twice it ends up with the same signal as the input doesn't it?

Mike

Its often used to give a very short delay on a switching edge

Last edited:
The purpose in that schematic: Absolutely fricken nothing. They might just be there to use all the gates in the package.

The short delay makes sense, I guess it is a really short delay but it is a delay.
When a delay is not needed I don't see the point in using it this way just to use all the gates, it is faster and simpler to just ground input pins.

Mike

The short delay makes sense, I guess it is a really short delay but it is a delay.
When a delay is not needed I don't see the point in using it this way just to use all the gates, it is faster and simpler to just ground input pins.

Mike

hi,
Its also possible that the designer was thinking of sharpening the slow rise at the detector input, once he had done that he would have used the second gate as an inverter.
A better choice of IC , IMO would have been a 74LS132 , it has a Schmitt input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…