two wheel balanced moving cart ( need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalal

hi everyone,
I need help with this project which is a cart with only two wheels but it should be balanced, which means if it fill down on one side front or rear it should re balance it self again. for this i thought that i can use a zero crossing detector which will know if it fill on one side it trigger the comparator to compare with the zero refrence but i'm not sure that it will work efficentlly.
It also should be moving forward and backward, right and left.
do u got any ideas??
please help me i got only month to implement that idea and i'm so bussy that i'm working 12 our night shift 6 days a week.

hi jalal

You can buy 'tilt' sensors, that can be set to switch at a preset angle [ by positioning the tilt sensor]

Put one at each edge of the cart, so if the cart tilts towards that edge the tilt switch closes.

How do you plan to correct the tilt of cart, when you have detected the tilt??

You need really high speed control loops and high update rate sensors to do something like that, very high torque motors as well. I've seen mpeg's of a guy on the net that built his own segway using the same principles (though not nearly as elegent)

when the professor gave me this idea he told me that it is easy to be done and i'm sure he knows the right circuit for this project. it must have an easier solution.
thanks anyway
if i got an easier answer of this problem i'll try and then i'll keep hear so you can make sure if its ok or not.

Do a Google search on "balancing robot". You can probably steal someone else's design. You might not learn much, but you'll get a good grade, unless your professor also knows about Google.

Hi
Try to watch the following video from Engineering TV web site

1- **broken link removed**

2- **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Have you ever worked with an inverted pendulum in your control classes before? If you haven't, you might not be able to get your project done in time...

Is there any reference i can go back to about the inverted pendulum
just to get the general idea of it

Balancing Robot

I've seen designs that eliminate gyros and accelerometers by aiming an infrared distance sensor at the ground from the top of the robot. It only works on flat ground.

Here's a design that uses an ultrasonic sensor controlled by a Basic Stamp:

**broken link removed**

jalal said:
Is there any reference i can go back to about the inverted pendulum
just to get the general idea of it
Uh, yes, GOOGLE, which should almost always be your first reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…