Two wire remote control relays

Status
Not open for further replies.
How hard do you think it would be to wright controlling software for a windows Laptop??

In C# or VB then pretty easy if its serial, if you use Linux then even easier (apparently). Depends what you mean by controlling software, for example a simple interface where you click a box and boom, very easy, a program that does complicated patterns in a time sequence I would think a little harder.
I know I am alone on this, but I would seriously build my own controller, use SERIAL comms, and mosfets. 2A for a mosfet is no problem, getting a pc to talk to a micro over serial is easy.
Not sure why by Ethernet dosnt sit easy with this for me, I have the olimax maxi web board, would I use it to set bombs off? no probably not, I would go the RS232 route and buffer it the other end. I bet you could run it really slow and it still be fast enough.

By controller software I was talking usb to serial converter cable, not going purely usb. C# and serial is near enough drag and drop for a form type layout

Yes I would agree with you but I would prefer not to have to make boards and do all the programming on the boss's time, Thats why I am looking for premade boards I can throw in a box.

Yes I would agree with you but I would prefer not to have to make boards and do all the programming on the boss's time, Thats why I am looking for premade boards I can throw in a box.
then your probably on the right track, depends how the boss see's it. Is it a one off or a system you will use again and again? sorry for all the question's but its hard looking at it from your view point.
Off the shelf = quick fairly easy but limited options

part off the shelf = pretty quick slightly more options, but needs time

Self built = Time,money and a fair amount of effort but the world is your oyster.

I havnt looked but I would try for premade serial interface, dosnt have to have relays just out puts, if you can find that then you can buy in relay boards or build them, you said earlier you didnt want relays because of bounce? if thats the case a serial board with outputs and make a mosfet board to fire the matches. A simple strip board with a few mosfets on wouldnt take an hour to knock up, then you have the option of serial interface, so you could develop a program or just use a terminal program.
Its a pain when people just ask loads and loads of questions but with something like this detail matters.
If its a one off use thing then cost matters alot, if its a use many times thing, then to be honest it might pay to offer it out as a job. Many on here could make something like that pretty quick.
But then again I am thinking back garden firworks, place match to fuse and slow walk back, somehow I think this isnt like that. The more I think on it the more I think that this isnt something I should comment on, having a look online alot of the pro stuff is pretty hefty! So I would go with safest option, You work with this stuff so maybe your less cautious than me, but I can see alot of ways to get rid of arms and legs with this stuff .

one thing I would say though, if you went with Ethernet, then you could use a old wireless router at the end that goes bang, and comms via laptop wireless dongle, this would give a very reliable wireless option outside at that distance, but you would have to implement password protection etc on the router. You wouldnt need a phone line or anything just plug the board into the router, and then tap in via wireless with the laptop.
But is it worth it? again it boils down to is this a one off?? what kind of regulations do you have to work to? I know nothing about the rules over there with this stuff. But I am sure backyard stuff is way different to public display.

Is it a one off or a system you will use again and again?
It would be used once a year during our 4th of July crush.
but I can see alot of ways to get rid of arms and legs with this stuff
That's why we like electrically shooting.
But I am sure backyard stuff is way different to public display.
ya its way different when you get paid to do it.
what kind of regulations do you have to work to?
Not much in my state, its mostly left up to the local authority's to decide what is allowed.
We all generally follow whats called NFPA guild lines.
That's national Fire Protection Agency.
Mostly all they want is a key switch and a dead-mans switch for any firing panel.
That would not be hard at all for me to incorporate into the laptop interface.
if you went with Ethernet, then you could use a old wireless router
That's a good idea.

Ethernet relays hard wired to a router gives you plenty options, like being able to pug more than one board in, say you have 5 wired ports on the router, then in theory its easier to connect too than trying to join boards together, you just log into each of there ip's separately. Also a N spec router would give you huge distance outside and you get pretty good security built in (wp2 or whatever its called). Also router wireless is pretty reliable, old routers are everywhere! so virtually no cost.
You could get fancy and use a smart phone browser to connect . Best bit is if you wanted to then you have many options for the software side. Simple html main page with ip links to each board, or you could get complex.
So do you only work on july 4th? what do you use other times?

So do you only work on july 4th? what do you use other times?
We may only have one or two shows a weekend the other times, on the 4th we may have 12.
We have 7 FireOne systems, One manual switch panel and 3 wireless systems.
Most of the winter hardly any of it is used.
We spend most of our time in the winter getting ready for next year.

I am hopeing google translate went a bit funny! otherwise...........
This might be a start taking your drugs, or stop taking your drugs kind of thing!

Looks like plain old spam to me, and has been consigned to the bit-bucket.
JimB

Loku

Do not send me PMs in text-speak jibberish asking for circuits.
Keep your requests in the forum, and use correct English.
Do not hijack other peoples threads, start your own thread.

JimB

The RS485 is propably the way to go. Alternately you could use DTMF. 3 digits will give you 1000 locals and could phantom power the remotes at the same time.
I build a pyro firing device using RFD3055 MOSFETs instead of relays to trigger the squibs. E

My bad: 3 digits, 16 each, would give you 4000+ addresses.
If you could do with 250 locations you could use 2 DTMF encoders (16x16). The standard Xtal for the encoders and decoders use 3.5795 MHz devices. Use a 4.915 Mhz in one encoder and a 2.048 Mhz in the other to get the 16x16 matrix.
I suggested DTMF because of the inherent simplicity and reliability of such a system. E

Dont forget mr pyro's to add some safety, maybe a password before a control word to set things off, you wouldnt want a taxi or police car radio to go letting stuff off uncontrolled, if your going to be using zip wire this is all the more important.

Thank you for your input nanadaelk; That is a good idea but the last time I looked at DTMF chips they seemed to be getting scarce and expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…