Typical Car battery safe DOD or Maximum cycles (Solar Related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxsick

Hello,

I have 8x 75Ah Lead Acid Batteries for a combined 24v 300Ah capacity

I would like to know what is recommended Depth Of Discharge for the batteries.

I know Deep cycle have better protection against cycled use, but thailand's prices for Deep Cycle is out of the question..
Price compared for Thai's Car Battery vs Deep Cycle..

14,000 baht 8x 75A Car Battery
48,000 baht 6x 120A Deepcycle
as you can see the price for deep cycle is way more expensive and if car battery's life time is half that of deep cycle it will still cost less.

thanks Electronic Wisses!!
Shaun

i believe car batteries are far less than that for deep cycle as they are meant for floating aside for winter starting. in a typical solar app you are looking at only deep cycling in the worst of conditions anyhow. deep cycle is more for mobility stuff..

you should look into LiFePo4s if it is a high drain app. you only need about half the capacity and get thousands instead of hundreds of charge cycles for about the same money, and they are not picky about deep cycling!

dan

I predict that if you subject the car batteries to a DOD of more than 20% (leaving 80% of the capacity in the battery), you will still get a life much shorter than a a "deep-cycle" battery discharged to 90%. That means you will have to buy four times as many car batteries as deep-cycle batteries, and they will only last half as long!

Car batteries are starting batteries; not storage batteries.

okay thanks..

If I stay around the 70% full area I think the batteries will be fine. we'll see..

thai's dont often use deep cycle batteries so importing them is stupid idea coz the weight.
and not many retail shops stock them. car batteries are avil everywhere and are cheap as chips..

if I were in australia or U.S. I'm sure I can get a DC battery from anywhere and cheaper than here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…