Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ULN2803 - Practical load ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi All,

The ULN2803 darlington array is rated at 50v 500ma continuous per transistor output.

I need to drive a bank of solenoids each taking up to 2A at 15V DC.

Only one solenoid will be operated at a time and then only with a precise 1 second pulse with several seconds before another would be activated.
Total usage would be light, say 100 pulses per day through the whole chip.

Would I be able to get away with the higher current / wattage when used in this very intermittant way ?

( I know there is a quad 1.5A darlington driver ULN2064 or devices like TIP122 that would do the job easy, but the 2803 is so much more compact and low cost, even if I had to parallel two outputs to increase the current to 1A )

Yes. See the chart for the allowable current per channel depending on the number of active channels and the duty cycle:
ALLOWABLE COLLECTOR CURRENT
AS A FUNCTION OF DUTY CYCLE
ULx28xxA
https://www.rentron.com/Files/uln2803.pdf
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back