Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrafast diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

epilot

hello there,

what "ultrafast" word means for diodes?

today i had a TV for repair, i found a rectifier diode that was fried(shorted)
the number is "UF5407". could not to find one so i bought few 1N5407 rectifiers and replaced one with the original fried diode,
there was a problem, when i turned the TV on it returned to standby mode and yes i lost 1N5407(it was shorted too)
i tried to find any other problem but there was not any problem rather than the diode so i went to look at data sheet of 1N and UF 5407,
i noticed that UF5407 is an ultrafast rectifier diode while 1N5407 is a normal rectifier diode.

now i want to know what is an "ultrafast" rectifier diode really?

since i was not able to find UF5407 diode what is your suggestion for a replacement?

many thanks for any help.

Last edited:
All diodes have a switching time, that is how long it takes to turn off or on when the current is reversed. Ultrafast diodes have a much shorter switching time than ordinary rectifiers, they are normally used in RF applications like TVs.

I recommend you look for the fastest diode you can find from your local supplier and see if it works.

epilot said:
hello there,

what "ultrafast" word means for diodes?

today i had a TV for repair, i found a rectifier diode that was fried(shorted)
the number is "UF5407". could not to find one so i bought few 1N5407 rectifiers and replaced one with the original fried diode,
there was a problem, when i turned the TV on it returned to standby mode and yes i lost 1N5407(it was shorted too)
i tried to find any other problem but there was not any problem rather than the diode so i went to look at data sheet of 1N and UF 5407,
i noticed that UF5407 is an ultrafast rectifier diode while 1N5407 is a normal rectifier diode.

What you need is a 'fast recovery' rectifier, normal rectifiers are too slow for line output or switch-mode use (and die VERY quickly!) - what specifically is the rectifier doing in the circuit?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
What you need is a 'fast recovery' rectifier, normal rectifiers are too slow for line output or switch-mode use (and die VERY quickly!) - what specifically is the rectifier doing in the circuit?.

i used 3 or 4 1N5407 and they was fried too, so that is why i lost them.

the diode sends a 150V to high voltage transformer,

can you suggest an alternative diode Nigel?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 640
epilot said:
i used 3 or 4 1N5407 and they was fried too, so that is why i lost them.

the diode sends a 150V to high voltage transformer,

can you suggest an alternative diode Nigel?

OK, so it's the main HT rectifier, off the switch-mode transformer, 1N5407's are standard slow rectifiers, they will overheat and die in seconds!.

The fast diodes I stock at work are the RGP15J and the BY229, with the RGP15J being the one I use by far the most of.

Nigel Goodwin said:
OK, so it's the main HT rectifier, off the switch-mode transformer, 1N5407's are standard slow rectifiers, they will overheat and die in seconds!.

The fast diodes I stock at work are the RGP15J and the BY229, with the RGP15J being the one I use by far the most of.

ok thanks,

i could find some "BY298" & "GUF30J" and "BY399",
TV worked with GUF30J for 2min then i lost few components from power part:
a K2545 FET a 44608 IC and 2 resistors!

K2545 got very hot and then became shorted so i lost that IC and resistors too.

does anyone know this circuit for power part of Vestel TV's?

few days ago i tested the coil "l802" and it was cutted, as you can see there is no number for it in the scheme so i replaced it with a 27uH and then with a 100uH,
does anyone know if that is why i lost the fet and then the IC?

thanks

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 544
  • u.JPG
    u.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 594
Maybe your problem is not the diode. To blow a 1n4007 that a trick. do you supose that your load to the diode is way to much. Shorted cap other loads?

raybo said:
Maybe your problem is not the diode. To blow a 1n4007 that a trick. do you supose that your load to the diode is way to much. Shorted cap other loads?

yes,
i removed that inductor and shorted its way,
now the diode and K2545 get less hot, but another problem is that the TV turns off after 5min and i have to wait for 2 or 3min and then when i turn it on it works and again... my idea is that there is any other thing that cause an overload yet, but i don't know what it is.

since a 20uH inductor is so important at overloading and warming of the stuff, so perhaps the problem is that:
i could not find a 0.22 ohm resistor(see the pic) for the source of K2545 and i used a 0.33 ohm instead,
does anyone know if it can cause the problem or not?
i think that resistor is important because i used a 1.5 ohm resistor too and the TV never worked?

P.s now i think i can understand the art of electronics design (lol)

epilot said:
yes,
i removed that inductor and shorted its way,
now the diode and K2545 get less hot, but another problem is that the TV turns off after 5min and i have to wait for 2 or 3min and then when i turn it on it works and again... my idea is that there is any other thing that cause an overload yet, but i don't know what it is.

since a 20uH inductor is so important at overloading and warming of the stuff, so perhaps the problem is that:
i could not find a 0.22 ohm resistor(see the pic) for the source of K2545 and i used a 0.33 ohm instead,
does anyone know if it can cause the problem or not?
i think that resistor is important because i used a 1.5 ohm resistor too and the TV never worked?

P.s now i think i can understand the art of electronics design (lol)

The 0.22 ohm resistor is the current limiting sensor, replacing it with a 0.33 will mean it current limits far earlier, so may well limit on bright scenes.

keep going and at this rate you'll have no TV left! if you remove a damaged component then you must replace it with either the exact same component or a perfect like for like match, otherwise you will create other problems and eventualy have a completely screwed TV.

It's perfectly fine to replace it with a similar componant with similar or better ratings.

ok, you could replace it with a component with similar or better ratings, but not a component with worse ratings, or different operating characteristics.

like a 220Ω resistor replaced with a 330Ω resistor, this will affect circuit operation.

ZIGGY_DAN said:
ok, you could replace it with a component with similar or better ratings, but not a component with worse ratings, or different operating characteristics.

like a 220Ω resistor replaced with a 330Ω resistor, this will affect circuit operation.

Not 'always' true, as long as you know EXACTLY what you are doing, and why, sometimes it's advantageous to replace with a different value. But this requires years of experience, and a good knowledge of how the circuit works!.

i solved the problem,
thanks for all helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back