Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ultrasonic sensor wave guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark

Hi ,
Is it a good idea to attach a wave guide to ultrasonic range meter to increase its range.
Thanks.

You will be better off using a parabolic focusing system. Ultrasonics are only HF audio (around 40khz usually) & do not display the properties of microwaves which are what waveguides are intended for.

You will be better off using a parabolic focusing system. Ultrasonics are only HF audio (around 40khz usually) & do not display the properties of microwaves which are what waveguides are intended for.
Thanks , how about a conical waveguids , usually the range meter is without a waveguide . I am guessing will it cause problems with path lengths .

Thanks , how about a conical waveguids , usually the range meter is without a waveguide . I am guessing will it cause problems with path lengths .

He's already explained, waveguides are for microwaves (and for RF, not vibrations in air), they don't apply to audio.

He's already explained, waveguides are for microwaves (and for RF, not vibrations in air), they don't apply to audio.

If audio has single frequency component then I think waveguide is applicable? , whats your opinion.

I suggest you read this document of definitions. Get familiar with beam cone and how ultrasonic sensors actually work. It covers things not covered in your other thread. Thinking about beam cone what would happen if the transmitted waves bounced off the sides of an added waveguide? You select a sensor and transmitter based on the application taking things like the environment and distance into consideration. Distance is a function of power combined with the cone. You do not use a sensor designed to measure .1 to 1 meter to measure accurately a distance of 10 meters. Read the links I provided in your other thread on this topic, they should help.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back