Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unable 2 PROG dspic30f3011 with ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryforever

I have this peculiar problem with this dspic30f3011 .Im used a ICD2 to program dspicf3011 but i get this .
Invalid target device in Mplab

this is schematic

test.GIF

should i connect any capacitors to it or anything to be added
any suggestions are worth it

barryforever said:
I have this peculiar problem with this dspic30f3011 .Im used a ICD2 to program dspicf3011 but i get this .
Invalid target device in Mplab

this is schematic

View attachment 17623

should i connect any capacitors to it or anything to be added
any suggestions are worth it

Yes, a few decoupling caps, ~0.1uF, from each supply pin to ground, and a ~10.0k ohm pull-up on !MCLR, Just as the ICD2 Manual states...

This will probably cure the problem.

Why would anyone START out with dsPICs? They are very powerful but very different beasts. What are you doing that requires such a powerful CPU?

my application involves developing complex models in scientific tools such as MATLAB and the code is then imported to the chip using some techniques..
if i use c programming then it will take me 2-3 years to develop such complex programs

hey man i used a 10k Ohm resistor btw vdd and mclr
i did connect a 10 Micro Farad capacitor btw Vdd and ground ..
I get this MCLR Vpp when running self test , it fails one time after some time i get passed self test ..so which means its toggling should i reduce the value of capacitor like 1 Micro farad something

barryforever said:
hey man i used a 10k Ohm resistor btw vdd and mclr
i did connect a 10 Micro Farad capacitor btw Vdd and ground ..
I get this MCLR Vpp when running self test , it fails one time after some time i get passed self test ..so which means its toggling should i reduce the value of capacitor like 1 Micro farad something

10uF is too large to likely be a low ESR capacitor that can supply the high frequencies needed. Reduce it. To about 0.1uF. But the more important thing you seem to be missing is...

You must supply the analog supply and digital supply for the dsPIC to work even if you aren't using any ADCs or comparators on the IC. (AVdd/AVss and Vdd/Vss). Vdd/Vss are connected internally to each other so you might get away with only using one pair if the current draw and speeds aren't too high. But there is only one pair of analog power pins and they must be connected.

And yeah, you also need that MCLR pull-up resistor so the ICD2 can actually reset the dsPIC and put it into programming mode.

Last edited:
You might want to check out how the dsPIC demo boards from Microchip are wired up. They usually have a schematic in the back of the manual.

k
i did the same exactly as you guys instructed me
this is what i get

Code:
Auto-connect not enabled - Not connecting (Try enabling auto-connect on the ICD2 settings pages.)
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
Target Device dsPIC30F3011 found, revision = mm2 a0
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
... Failed Self Test.  See ICD2 Settings (status tab) for details.
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

My MCLR vpp seems to be high

i got 100kohm btw vdd and vpp and 0.1 micro farad btw vdd and vss
what should i do then

My MCLR vpp seems to be high

Is that what your status panel is telling you? Or is that what you are thinking?

and 0.1 micro farad btw vdd and vss

Do you have one of these on, or very near to EACH Vdd or AVdd pin on your chip? Or one cap 'somewhere on the board' between Vdd and Vss?

Last edited:
Sorry for all the questions (you didn't provide all the details, either, though.)

Is the ICD2 a Microchip one, or a clone?

Have you measured the voltage on !MCLR with a DMM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back