Unable to access C: and D: Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

Everytime I click on my computer or any other link to C: or D: drive, I get this error:

"Windows cannot find 'RECYCLER\S-2-5-19-100013866-100001288-100032336-2980.com'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try agani. To search for a file, click the start button and then click search."

I have NO idea what to do, and my searches online have not resolved my problem. The next step after this is to call support and see what they have to say.

However, I am able to access C and D drive through explorer. C and D are a single drive but partitioned in half.

Last edited:
Here's another.[URL="]https://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=OS&message.id=4754"[/URL]

I believe that I have a virus in the registry that creates these recycler files then makes an autorun linking to it.

Yes, I have a virus that automatically creates a recycler file that has an autorun, I inserted a flash drive and sure enough it put one of those files on there.

I hope you got it. I hate re-installing anything.

Especially Windows sometime it's just not worth it.

kv

I have Mcafee enterprise and supplied by the school.

Sometime's you can go to that site and download a stinger.

kv

If you don't care about the data on the drive, why don't you reinstall XP by booting from CD, use the recovery console to reformat the drive, and then reinstall XP?

Fixed! I booted my comp in safe mode and ran Hijack this and found a couple files that were disguised as xp files. I then deleted my Uninstall registry and everything is back to normal. PHEW!
Now it is homework time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…