Under unity buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I need a buffer which attenuates the signal. I want to use the + input of quarter of an OPA4140 for the input. Do I just need to string the output across a potential divider, or is there a better way to do it?

Tia

hi throb,
How much attenuation are you requiring.??

A OPA's , non inverting input can tolerate a high resistance value divider, or for an inverted OPA output, you use a OPA as an attenuator.
For example... Rin= 10k, Rfb =5k would give a Gain of 0.5....

E

At the moment, no greater than V/10, however could go as high as V/30. Can't tolerate any reduction in input resistance since the input is from the DUT on an ohms converter, which could be 100M or more, hence it has to be non-inverting. This is just my route to being able to measure at significant voltage (ie, as high as this particular opamp can stand) across the DUT.

I figured out how to make a fully differential ohms converter but then discovered it needs a single sided mode as well, which is what this is for... <sigh>

hi,
Look at this clip note the input impedance.
E

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    36.2 KB · Views: 165
Thanks Eric, but the OA I am looking at has a typical bias current of 0.5pA typical (10pA max) so this isn't my issue. It really is just a case of identifying if there's a better method of doing the attenuation than just sticking a couple of resistors across the output of a non-inverting buffer.

Attachments

• lmc660.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
I was hoping to find a magic active attenuator in there, but I guess you just wanted me to look at an opamp with lower bias current. As it happens, the offset voltage is a little high when a low value DUT is inserted - in simulation at least the opa4140 works better.

So anyway I think I may have found a magic bullet in all this if I change some other things...

Thanks for looking though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…