Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding multivibrator circuits and derivatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I've been studying an astable multivibrator circuit, and I built one.

I don't really understand how all the voltages and currents go around the circuit. However, I do understand that it oscillates, that the output of each transistor is an input to the other, and that higher R/C values slow down the circuit. Is it sufficient that I understand those latter things and see the circuit as a black box, or do I really need to understand how the whole circuit works? If the latter is true, how can I best learn it? I have read all the web references I can find and I can't seem to follow where the voltages and currents are going.

My intention is that one day I would like to design circuits that can count, perform boolean operations, and incorporate AVR microcontrollers.

Richard

If you learn about how transistors work then learn about how a resistor can charge and discharge a capacitor then you will understand how a two-transistors multivibrator circuit works.

Watch out! A few of the circuits on the web have the polarity of the capacitors backwards.

If you intend to design circuits then you certainly need to know how the currents and voltages operate in a circuit, such as a multivibrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back