Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Underwater Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Hello, I plan to make a single 50 watt LED 5000 Lumen flashlight. My only challenge is that I cannot find underwater toggle switch. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes them? My depth requirements are around 40m-50m maximum. I don't think that a rubber boot can create a good enough seal at those depth. Although I may be wrong, perhaps a high quality rubber boot slipped on the toggle switch can do the trick?

Underwater light I have has a rotary shaft with 'O' ring on shaft. It controls a slide switch inside light. It only rotates about 40 degrees by a plastic lever bar on outside.

Lamp lens has large 'O' ring. Basically, every seam to outside has 'O' ring.

Last edited:
Ok, something I have experience with. A friend of min built a ROV for underwater filming, but required battery operated lasers for sizing of underwater items. We built small battery powered lasers into housings, but have a difficult time finding a waterproof switch that would handle any sort of depth. o what we did was place a reed relay on the interior of the body, with a magnet affixed to te outside. Once the magnet was removed, the lasers lit up. You could probibly make a thumbswitch sort of device to have the magnet move from one position to another on the outside of you casing, triggering a reed like we did.

what we did was place a reed relay on the interior of the body, with a magnet affixed to te outside. Once the magnet was removed, the lasers lit up
They use the same arrangement on hot tubs and jacuzzis. Several reed switches are placed in a circular pattern, when the knob is turned a magnet on the back of the knob lines up with a reed switch and performs the appropriate function.That way the knob/user is never connected to anything with power connected to it.

Ok, something I have experience with. A friend of min built a ROV for underwater filming, but required battery operated lasers for sizing of underwater items. We built small battery powered lasers into housings, but have a difficult time finding a waterproof switch that would handle any sort of depth. o what we did was place a reed relay on the interior of the body, with a magnet affixed to te outside. Once the magnet was removed, the lasers lit up. You could probibly make a thumbswitch sort of device to have the magnet move from one position to another on the outside of you casing, triggering a reed like we did.

Thanks, I will use reed switch with magnet than.

Glue a little lead sinker on the end of a typical small toggle switch (on the lever).

Then it can be totally encased, and a "sharp rap" will provide enough inertia to turn it on/off as needed with zero external parts exposed to the water.

Just go to a scuba shop and buy a cheap underwater flashlight and convert it over to LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back