Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unsure about Oscilloscope choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilimike

Hi,
The more I read about oscilloscopes the more I get confused so I figured I would post.
I am a beginer and I work with Microchip PICs. I am now working with ultrasonic at 40Khz and I may eventually work with radio frequencies so to the question what I would use a scope for, I guess my answer would be for multiple projects although I don't think I will ever go to microwaves.
I am looking at 2 models and I would appreciate if someone could give me a little guidance based on what I said above.
My first is Tenma 72-6805 **broken link removed** at $455 (CDN) and other model is Owon PDS5022S Benchtop 25Mhz Color LCD Scope + Accessories ($287.00) : Saelig Online Store at $287 (USD)

Also is it important to get a callibration certificate? I mean how bad can the scope be if it is uncallibrated? is it worth the $50+

If I can get all this clarified that would be great.

Thanks

Mike

With those scopes you won't be able to work with RF frequencies above 5 MHz.

Your maximum Bandwidth is 25 MHz, and the minimum timebase is 200 ns, with that timebase it will be difficult to see signals above 5 MHz.

You could get a storage scope, to make things easier when you need to look up serial data. Or storing aleatory events.

Thank you for your reply Hayato,
Based on what I see for pricing, I guess I can set myself a limit of 5 MHz for now. I know there are some good used scopes but I don't want to take a chance so I want to buy new. if I take away RF which of the above scopes would you suggest? the Tenma has a function generator, the Owon is Digital. I read it is better to go with digital when working with microcontrollers but I don't know why! Then again I am thinking, is there a difference between the Owon and a scope you would plug into a PC? I am not conserned about portability and I am not conserned about handeling high voltages.

Mike

Last edited:
I'd save a bit more money to buy a Tektronix or Agilent.

As I said on my first post, a digital storage is better when working with digital circuitry due the possibility to store the signal, you can freeze the signal and see what happens before and after the triggering.

Take a look at this one:
**broken link removed**

It has a higher sampling rate (250 MSa/s vs 100 MSa/s from the OWON), it can do FFT and is branded (which means that you'll get better support and warranty).

Although I prefer a benchtop instrument. Now a days you have very good PC scopes within the bandwidth you want. So it is up to you. If you are going to take the OWON, then I'd rather go with a PICOTECH PC-SCOPE, it is much better than a OWON one (Chinese).

This is very good information.

I think I will go with the B&K 2530.

Thank you very much Hayato,

Mike

Is there any way to upgrade the firmware in the 2530 original (not 2530B)? Can't find any reference to it in manual or online

I did purchase the BK2530 back then and I don't recall having to do a firmware upgrade.
I am just going over the manual that comes with it and I see no indications about "Firmware upgrade/update"

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back