Unusual PWM audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

hari poter

Hi everyone..
I'l tried to modify 350W computer power supply (under 20 eur).
Input is 220V~, gretz and capacitors makes DC.. Push-pull mosfets driving ferrite core transformer, about 40KHz frequency with pwm.
Base of this circuit is ka7500, similar TL494 chip. Active cooling with 8cm fan.
Output capacitors are removed, output shottky diodes too.
Output impedance is very low, and driving homemade neodium magnet+alu folly speaker. Thru low-pass filter, of course.
Vref DC input of tl494 is modulated with audio. Chinch and trimer pot.
...BUT...
why output power is not strong enough? Before changing this power supply given 25Amps on +5V, and now is ~20W audio maximum! Why?
Best regard.

Rather a strange idea, but it sounds like the output voltage is far too low to get more power, plus the percentage of PWM change possible will limit power as well.

It's not intended for this use, so isn't likely to work well.

why output power is not strong enough? Before changing this power supply given 25Amps on +5V, and now is ~20W audio maximum! Why?
Best regard.
What's the impedance of the speaker?

Assuming 8Ω.

What's the peak-peak voltage?

Assuming 5V.

5²/8 = 3.125W

The RMS power will be 3.125/√2 = 2.2W

I hope you used a DC blocking capacitor too.

Last edited:
Output is NOT DC, output is secondary coil of ferrite transformer. 40KHz modulated.
No need serial capacitor.
Transformer is torus, and no problem to add few wind of wire. Output impedance is adjustable by adding few inches of wire.
Only low-pass filter is connected between torus and speaker. To stop 40KHz, i want only envelope on speaker. No DC, just audio signal.

Rather a strange idea, but it sounds like the output voltage is far too low to get more power,
Output voltage is not matter. Output power (as DC power supply) is 5V*25A. Adjusting output impedance you can receive all of this power to driving speaker.
plus the percentage of PWM change possible will limit power as well.
i'm not underatanding this.. pwm percentage (signal/pause ratio) is depending of audio input signal. you mean deviation of signal?
10x

Output voltage is not matter. Output power (as DC power supply) is 5V*25A. Adjusting output impedance you can receive all of this power to driving speaker.

Yes, but you need massive cables to feed it (to prevent high loss) and a special custom made speaker. What impedance is your speaker?.

i'm not underatanding this.. pwm percentage (signal/pause ratio) is depending of audio input signal. you mean deviation of signal?
10x

Yes, mark/space ratio change in response to the audio signal - a PWM amplifier will go to almost 100% either way, a PSU chip probably only has a limited span?.

40khz is a very low PWM frequency to make your own class-D amplifier.
Commercial class-D amplifiers and ICs use a frequency that is 10 times to 40 times higher. Then the output filter can work properly.

Yes, but you need massive cables to feed it (to prevent high loss) and a special custom made speaker. What impedance is your speaker?.
Nevermind, my speaker is homemade.
Adding few winds of wire to secondary may increase output voltage, and output impedance. You can adjust output voltage/impedance by changing number of secondary winds.
Yes, mark/space ratio change in response to the audio signal - a PWM amplifier will go to almost 100% either way, a PSU chip probably only has a limited span?.
This is probably problem. PSU chip is no limit (over the 1.5MHz) but other components can becomes critical. 10x for idea.

@audioguru: 40KHz seems like enough for "dirty" 300Hz-4KHz middle range, just for stadions, and public meeting.
I am not expecting HI-FI from 10eur amplifier.

I haven't listened to a low-quality "dirty" AM radio station for about 50 years.

Nevermind, my speaker is homemade.
Adding few winds of wire to secondary may increase output voltage, and output impedance. You can adjust output voltage/impedance by changing number of secondary winds.

So presumably you have no idea what impedance it is?, so how can you expect to get any meaningful results from it?. Bear in mind, lower impedance means more losses in the cables, and particularly in the low pass filter feeding the speaker.

Yeah.. a lot of problems.
Speaker is thin alu- foly between two neodium magnet. Foly is from opened electrolytyc capacitors - thiny and clean. This is tweeter, of course. Feeding with kilohertz, low impedance, xtremly clean sound... but eficiency is depending of mechanical construction and, at the start of development, is not enough sensitivity.
Maybe add a impedance transformer?
And yeah, tl494 and switching transistors must working much faster than 40khz to improve sound quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…