Unwanted software on the PC - virus like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear it, Hans! Although in fairness it was Colin who first suggested the solution I sent you. I've used that site in the past with good results too, though.

Let's hope that trojan is gone for good.

Torben

Unwanted software on the PC

Thanks again to all who have given their assistance and help in this matter.

Regards

Hans

Yeah I often wonder why people do this in the first place. It's safer to not even open those garbage emails.

Very clever remark! Do you know in advance that a mail ist spam?

And ... do you always start the first sentence with "Yeah"?

Hans

Actually you can get a virus from downloading a game,going to a suspicious web-site,or just surfing the net..without opening an attachment

I don't think spybot is a virus checker.
It's not an AV pgm... it's a spyware/malware checker, as is AdAware. Norton and AVG are AV pgms. I did state that Antivirus XP 2008 is a spyware like pgm ... not a virus.

I had a virus called "Vundo" once, damn its a PIA to remove aswell. Numerous scans using AVG and Adaware. I ended up having to go into safe mode, delete the suspicious files, run a couple of more scans, look up on the internet how to remove the thing, tried a few programs, and it still wouldnt go away. I did get rid of it eventually but i'm not sure how.

Anymore these days, it's best to reload the OS from a clean start. If you slipstream the OS and a few other desired pgms. onto an unattended install disc, it's not long effort to the process. You get a responsive running machine once again.

Perhaps a simple case of misunderstanding.

Yeah I often wonder why people do this in the first place. It's safer to not even open those garbage emails.

Could be viewed as somewhat insulting, as in duh... Maybe not worded quite right, but does not mean an insult was meant.

Very clever remark! Do you know in advance that a mail ist spam?
And ... do you always start the first sentence with "Yeah"?

Feeling insulted, a defensive posture is taken, hence the slight aggressive retort.

YEAH maybe I do, thanks for the compliment though, what's your problem tough guy?

Not understanding the previous defensive response, as no insult was originally intended, another counter retort follows.

Seems to me that this is just a case of misinterpretation. I am sure no insult was intended by Rita in first remark.

Peace all

With regards to AVG antivirus- it sux! It terribly lags my 'puters - I mean really slow. No matter what the pgm settings, it always auto-updates (why I don't know, since the box is unchecked), it runs slower than molasses in deep space, seems to catch more fartware than real viruses, etc. My wife has good luck with it in her machine but my systems choke badly from it. My solution? UNINSTALL and stick with Norton Corporate AV. Freebie pgms. often are not all that cracked up as advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…