Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Up-grade multimeter which ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Wilson

I have noticed Sears has on with frequency, would this be good enough for starter projects. It is around $60.00, or what should I get, I have a smaller version of the same meter,without frequency probe. What would you suggest.

I would look for a cheap scope. A used Velleman HPS5 would certainly be less; a new HPS10 is only $100. John

I took a look at the site, this is tools and software to attach to pc. Is this a good tool. I am never going to spend 3500 for a scope.

Don, the February 2008 issue of "EE Evaluation Engineering" (one of those "free to qualified subscriber" magazines) beginning on page 28, has the article "Powerfel and Portable DMMs for 2008". Their web site is https://www.evaluationengineering.com and although this article is not currently posted there, I suspect that it will be. They evaluate 19 different models from 9 manufacturers priced from $55 to $895. The low end generally gives you an accuracy of around ±0.5% while the high-end models are around ±0.025%. I'm not sure that this is an all-encompassing article, for they show only one Fluke model. That's a little questionable.

Dean

Don Wilson said:
I took a look at the site, this is tools and software to attach to pc. Is this a good tool. I am never going to spend 3500 for a scope.

THen spend $800! $3500 is a pretty fancy scope. My problem is I need to observe motor switching waveforms which are square waves, but not "logical" so a logic analyzer won't work and I need a 40MHz+ bandwidth scope.

dknguyen said:
THen spend $800! $3500 is a pretty fancy scope. My problem is I need to observe motor switching waveforms which are square waves, but not "logical" so a logic analyzer won't work and I need a 40MHz+ bandwidth scope.

Why on earth would you need 40MHz bandwidth just for motor switching waveforms?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back