Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Upload to my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

resystor

HI I want to send some data from my z80 micro pc to my home pc. I want to save this on my A: drive floppy. Can I do it? What is the command from ms-dos to save on A: drive? I'm sending the data via an 8251 USART to serial port. Appreciate any help.

no software is running. just port to port communication. I need to know the HEX code that will run the A: drive and save

hi,

You must have some comms software running.

Is all you have the DOS prompt?

Do you plan enter the hex code in using Debug.?

EDIT: At least get a Basic language, free GWBasic

**broken link removed**

or

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
If it's a dos machine then you could do "copy com1 a:\filename.txt". I can't remember how to terminate the transmission. I think it may be terminated when a ctrl-z is received.

Mike.

If it's a dos machine then you could do "copy com1 a:\filename.txt". I can't remember how to terminate the transmission. I think it may be terminated when a ctrl-z is received.

Mike.

I think you're probably correct, but don't you have to set up the parameters for COM1 first?.

Far easier to use a terminal program, and you should be able to download plenty of free examples.

You can see the settings for com1 by doing "MODE COM1" and change it by doing "MODE COM1: baud=9600 parity=N data=8 stop=1" - without the quotes.

Note that this is only good for text files. You couldn't use this method to transfer a terminal program.:)

One day this may be the only way someone might get an old text file of a floppy.:eek:

Mike.

You can see the settings for com1 by doing "MODE COM1" and change it by doing "MODE COM1: baud=9600 parity=N data=8 stop=1" - without the quotes.

Note that this is only good for text files. You couldn't use this method to transfer a terminal program.:)

One day this may be the only way someone might get an old text file of a floppy.:eek:

Mike.

hi Mike,
I cannot understand why he dosnt use a free copy of GW or QB basic.?

It would give him all the port and disk control he needs.?

hi Mike,
I cannot understand why he dosnt use a free copy of GW or QB basic.?

It would give him all the port and disk control he needs.?

He may be trying to get a copy of GW or QB on the machine and only has a dos disk. Unfortunately, the above wont work as it's only good for text files.

Mike.

He may be trying to get a copy of GW or QB on the machine and only has a dos disk. Unfortunately, the above wont work as it's only good for text files.

Mike.

He could use the assembler in debug to produce a com file.

He has asked for the 'hex' file for the comms.!

Mike.

That frightens me. Lately I've been noticing that computers don't have floppy drives any more, and I *really* need to get my floppies out of storage and use one of my old machines to try to save as much as I can.

Back to the topic: I thought the OP was asking how to send a file to the PC from the Z80 and cause it to be saved to the a: drive, without any comms software running on the PC. I am aware of no way to do that; there must be some software running on the PC to accept the connection, read the data, and write it out to the disc.

I could be missing something though.

Torben

That frightens me. Lately I've been noticing that computers don't have floppy drives any more, and I *really* need to get my floppies out of storage and use one of my old machines to try to save as much as I can.

It might be worth you buying a USB floppy drive, common practice for laptop owners for many years.

Back to the topic: I thought the OP was asking how to send a file to the PC from the Z80 and cause it to be saved to the a: drive, without any comms software running on the PC. I am aware of no way to do that; there must be some software running on the PC to accept the connection, read the data, and write it out to the disc.

As Pommie says, you can use DOS/BIOS commands to spool text from the serial port to a file - but you can't do it with binary files.

But all you need is a simple DOS terminal program, they used to be provided with all modems, and I'm sure there are loads you can download for free.

Don't be frightened. Every mainboard still comes with a floppy connector. I regularly build machines (for other people) without floppy drives. I have a drive on the shelf with cable that I plug in and run hanging out the side temporarily for whenever I need a floppy in a machine. When done, unplug, change the BIOS setting back and put the side cover back on. 99% of users do not need a floppy drive, but I do occasionally. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back