Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Upper Cut off Frequency in Common Emitter Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callo1234

Hi

Im designing an common emitter amplifier and I have the following specification.

Frequency response:
Lower cut-off frequency: 40 Hz
Upper cut-off frequency: 1 MHz

I have worked out a suitable value for a coupling capacitor to give me that lower cut off but I have never covered how to implement an upper cut off frequency before?

I would know how to calculate the desired value fine but where in a common emitter amplifier would you place a capacitor to give you an upper cut off frequency?

Sorry if this isnt the right place fot this question, I know its a bit basic but im totally stuck.

Thanks for any help.

Do you have a SPICE program where you can simulate the amplifier on you computer?

Connect a capacitor from collector to ground. Adding capacitive loading will slow down the transistor.

Connect a capacitor across the collector resistor. Same effect.

Connect a capacitor from C to B. “Miller” capacitor will slow down the amplifier.

I believe your emitter is at ground. Break open the E to ground connection. Add an inductor. At low frequencies (below 1mhz) the inductor will look like a short. At high frequencies (above 1mhz) the inductor will add emitter resistance. The gain is the ratio of R-Collector and R-Emitter.

If you are really desperate, add RC low pass filter to the base.

I know, too many options!

by upper cuttoff frequency thats gonna be an LPF (series resistor then cap going to ground) You can add this on the output/collector. Guessing you can do the calculations for that already.

Thanks for your help guys,

Ive had to split my emitter resistor into 2 (bypassing one of them with my parallel capacitor to ground at my cut off frequency), to give me the midband gain i require and I think my circuit is sorted now.

One really stupid question though, this is my first ever circuit and i have never used multisim but i have to test to see if my characteristics of the circuit meet the spec in my textbook.

How would i measure to see if my gain and frequency responses work, i think i need to use the bode plotter but im not sure how i would connect it up?
Sorry for the newbie question but this work is a year ahead of where I am at (ive just started my course but i think i get the basics well.)

you could use a signal generator to your amplifier i/p. vary the frequency while using an oscilloscope to measure the o/p. When you just exceed the upper cut-off, your o/p should measure zero or nearly so. Likewise for the lower cut-off.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back