Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UPS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gedwards

I am trying to run a cell phone amplifier from my vehicle (which is in a cool, dry spot) so I may relay it to a receiver in my office. I need to power the unit in the car which captures the signal. The power adapter is 12 volts 1.5 amps. I am trying to find a UPS under $200 that will allow this unit to run for 8-9 hours. I am a tech savy person, but not in the electrical world. I was looking a few different units which I am listing below. I welcome all solutions or comments to help me come to my solution! :) Thanks!!

These are all APC, which is brand I have used in the past for in home, but I am not limited to the brand.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...cm_re=ups_power_supply-_-42-101-393-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...cm_re=ups_power_supply-_-42-101-421-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...cm_re=ups_power_supply-_-42-101-419-_-Product

Just because the power adapter is rated for 1.5 amps dose not mean the cell phone amplifier draws that much. Do you know how much it draws?

What is going to charge the UPS batteries?

I will take it out every day to charge at home. I do not know how much it draws exactly. I will do some research on that.

Converting power from 12 volts up to 110 volts only to drop it again to 12 volts is going to wast all kinds of power.
You would be better off running it off a 12 volt battery.

I will take it out every day to charge at home. I do not know how much it draws exactly. I will do some research on that.
OK then get a big 12 volt SLA battery and you can charge it in the house or when the car is running.

So I think this has been mixed up between the other post and this one. My original intention is to have a UPS to function as a battery which my cell phonesignal booster will run off of, then I will just take it in the house at night and charge it for the next day. The car battery idea was thrown out by another poster.

This is the booster below. The manual says 1.66amps but the adapter says 1.5amps.
**broken link removed**

Here is some additional information I found. I don't know if this would help in my question.
POWER
• 12 VDC via external supply (2 included)
• External supply: 100 to 240 VAC, 47 – 63 Hz.
• Power consumption less than 17W per unit

Would this not drain my car battery if it is not on for 9 hours?

It is a 12v ac adapter at 1.5 amps

Your car battery will be anywhere from approximately 40Ah to 80Ah? You are looking to draw a maximum of 9x1.5=13.5Ah so if your car battery is in decent nick it won't be a problem. If your car is running at least some of this 8~9hr period then go for it!

Your car battery will be anywhere from approximately 40Ah to 80Ah? You are looking to draw a maximum of 9x1.5=13.5Ah so if your car battery is in decent nick it won't be a problem. If your car is running at least some of this 8~9hr period then go for it!
Ok, I will keep this option in mind. I will have to go look at my battery and see what AH it is rated for. The car is well kept and I change my battery every year or two. I am unsure if my 12DC power will stay on without the keys in the ignition.

OK then get a big 12 volt SLA battery and you can charge it in the house or when the car is running.
I don't have a means of connecting this straight to a SLA battery nor do I have means to charging one. That is why I have the idea of a UPS. It is a single unit that I can bring inside and back out without dealing with more hassle than plugging it in.

I don't have a means of connecting this straight to a SLA battery nor do I have means to charging one. That is why I have the idea of a UPS. It is a single unit that I can bring inside and back out without dealing with more hassle than plugging it in.
Waste of power and money!!

Ok then, could you tell me what I would need to charge a SLA battery and how I would connect this adapter to the battery?

Ok then, could you tell me what I would need to charge a SLA battery and how I would connect this adapter to the battery?
you would not connect the adapter to the battery. Connect the cell phone amplifier to the battery.

You need to bring the thing to Radio Shack and tell them you want to plug it into your cigarette lighter, they should be able to fix you up with what you need.

Off hand why are you putting it in your car instead of in a window of your office?

The signal can go in and out at the window, but honestly, I don't have a truly secure location that will accommodate this unit. Our IT department is very "grabby" when it comes to things sitting around. The cleaning staff has stolen things from a few offices as well. My car is secure, about 75ft away, and gets a great signal where I park it every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back