Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Urgent HELP basic PIC asm programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicoara

I need for school a small asm program for PIC16f84 that reads 10 Octets from the external RAM memory and write them in the internal RAM memory!:confused:

1 octet =8 bits That is what my teachers are sayng
yes you can't acces external memory but you can du like this
**broken link removed**
This is the schematic form i must read 10 * 8 bits from external ram and pleace it in the internal ram :(

octet is the french name of a byte.

And with Gallic indiference the French just have to be different. Mon Dieu!

An octet is 8 bits - always.

Although these days a byte and octet are pretty much interchangeable, in the past 'byte' meant the 'smallest addressable unit of memory, which did not have to be 8 bits.

Therefore refering to 8 bits as a byte could, by some, be seen as ambiguous.

And I guess another one of those things just waiting for assumption to catch us out:)

pete

Sure. the PDP-6 form Digital Equipment Corporation had byte manipulation hardware which allowed a byte to be any length from 1 to 36 bits and starting anywhere in a 36 bit word. Pretty impressive for 1966. The price was pretty impressive too, even by todays standards, taking inflation into account.

PapaB:

I did PDP8 thru VAX (big ones)... And punched in the code from the front panel switches in the beginning (not a card reader, somehow I never played with one).. I met Ken Olsen a couple times too.. :)

Electro-World:

I think the forum are under attack, since the talk of the new format. heh-heh.. I say no location in profile, no account. popup that states "PLEASE STRESS DETAILS IN YOUR QUESTIONS" (ok I lack there).
If you are new and leave the "new to elections, have a question group" with under 10 post, anyone with 100+ post can nuke them... Kidding..

OK, you can get a pic and pulse all the lines to read an external memory chip.
Make is a static RAM chip, less work. And get the byte and drop it in the PIC RAM..

So what class are you taking??

Do you mean read 10 8-bit bytes from pic EEPROM and store them in RAM?? I am with Nigel, WHAT?

And if I hear byte, I think 8 bits today. Word is 16, or 32-bit word means 32 bits, etc.. Nibble, don't use them, I use bits, 4 of them..

Did you ever use TECO, the world's most Gawd Awful Text Editor?

I thought that BYTE was a contraction of "by eight" and a nibble was half a byte = 4 bits.

Mike.

By analogy, the correct spelling should be nybble.

Papabravo said:
Did you ever use TECO, the world's most Gawd Awful Text Editor?

It was a long time ago. Did it have a /recover for when the power went off?
I think EDT was it VAX version.

I think eleven posts, uninterrupted by the original poster, counts as a successful hijacking. What do you guys think?

Papabravo said:
By analogy, the correct spelling should be nybble.

You are right.. But I joke calling it 4 bits.. The 1/2 byte was a nybble (4 bit nybble). So does that make a byte 8 bits? :)

And what is up wyth all the "y" in place of "i"? Mith Busters.. My new nickname..

mramos1 said:
PapaB:

Do you mean read 10 8-bit bytes from pic EEPROM and store them in RAM?? I am with Nigel, WHAT?

And if I hear byte, I think 8 bits today. Word is 16, or 32-bit word means 32 bits, etc.. Nibble, don't use them, I use bits, 4 of them..

What i ment is to read 10 bytes from the SRAM that is the most on the right in my picture and pleace them in my internal PIC ram !

Papabravo said:
I think eleven posts, uninterrupted by the original poster, counts as a successful hijacking. What do you guys think?
He's back alive guy's :(

@Nicoara: Best way to learn is make your own code of what YOU think should work. The experts (not me, I never used PIC's) will correct it if there's something wrong in it...

Papabravo said:
Sorry for this , but I'm from ROMANIA and it was night the time the posts have been made !
And sorry for my englease and my questions but i'm 1yr student and my teacher is killing my with the asm programing of his schematic !
I don't understent a lot of pic microcontrolers , it is wery diferent from the 80c51 or M68hc11 asm programing

Last edited:
Nicoara said:
What i ment is to read 10 bytes from the SRAM that is the most on the right in my picture and pleace them in my internal PIC ram !

I can only say that the diagram is the most bizarre PIC circuit I've EVER seen!.

However drew it obviously doesn't know the first thing about PIC's, and had never even looked at a datasheet - it looks like whoever drew it just got a 1970's micro-processor circuit, removed the micro-processor, and bodged a PIC in it's place.

Was the circuit given to you?, or did you draw it? - and what's the point of it?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Was the circuit given to you?, or did you draw it? - and what's the point of it?.
That is my teacher draw ! That is the draw that probably wat top of the line in his time !
The point of it is just for learning , it is a school job !

Last edited:
Nicoara said:
That is my 68 yr teacher draw ! That is the draw that probably wat top of the line in his time !

But NOT with a PIC, it's completely pointless - the PIC already has ROM and RAM inside it, and has no access to it's own program memory (for most PIC's) so can't even run externally stored code!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back