Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

US Customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pre_Shan

HI

I'll be entering the USA for the first time this August through the port of Newark. Now I have this load of discrete electronic components, which I dont have the heart to separate with :(.

Now should US customs / Security people have a problem with that? My box of components (in checked-in baggage) include 1/4 W resistors(about 100), Capacitors(20), Transistors(30), Diodes(10), Crystals(20), Cable Connectors(different pin counts assorted, 30), 16x2 LCD modules(2), IC bases(20), some PICs(10) and some copper clad sheets.

I dont want to face the situation where my little box is put in the bin in front of my eyes :-( Any suggestions? Will I be able to explain to the officer that its my hobby electronics kit? Am I directly violating any law?

Dunno, but I'd arrange them to make sure they're easily visible that they are not connected together in any way. So if they're clean tied up into separate discrete bundles or separated neatly into separate bags or something maybe.

Last edited:
Just make sure that no partially assembled circuitry can be mistaken for bomb trigger parts.

You didn't say if you were just visiting the USA. If you are leaving from Canada, make sure that you fill out a form on the Canadian side. If you don't, and you plan to return those parts to Canada, you must be able to prove that you didn't buy them Stateside.

Last edited:
Dunno, but I'd arrange them to make sure they're easily visible that they are not connected together in any way. So if they're clean tied up into separate discrete bundles or separated neatly into separate bags or something maybe.
I agree with this. You can get little ziplock bags about 1 by 2 inches that work well for this sort of thing. That way when they dump the box the parts will not get all mixed up.

Another thing that may help is to do an inventory when you bag the parts. Chances are they will look at a few bags, see that they match the list (if they have a clue), and will let it go at that.

Just make sure that no partially assembled circuitry can be mistaken for bomb trigger parts.

I forgot to add this item to my list - A PICkit 2 completely home made (The pcb and assembly).What do I tell the officer of that? Its a fully assembled circuit!

I agree with this. You can get little ziplock bags about 1 by 2 inches that work well for this sort of thing. That way when they dump the box the parts will not get all mixed up.

Another thing that may help is to do an inventory when you bag the parts. Chances are they will look at a few bags, see that they match the list (if they have a clue), and will let it go at that.

Right now I have them in a plastic box with compartments. To save space I've dumped many types together in one compartment. I'll undo that and neatly classify them as you suggest.

I forgot to add this item to my list - A PICkit 2 completely home made (The pcb and assembly).What do I tell the officer of that? Its a fully assembled circuit!

Can you send it by post before you travel and have someone in the US pick it up for you?

Torben

As someone who travels around quite a lot, sometimes with a lot of electronic equipment, I think in this case you dont need to worry.

If it is in checked-in baggage, the security people are unlikely to worry unless it looks odd on the x-ray.

As far as customs goes, you will probably have to make some kind of declaration on your landing card, and for $100 worth of electronic components I dont think they will bat an eyelid.

JimB

PS, let us know how you get on. Will they let you use the internet in Sing Sing?:D:D:D

I'd recommend using ESD packaging as the baggage conveyors could charge up quite a bit.

Just wondering, can some MCUs be erased by airport X-ray machines?

Perhaps you should make sure you don't have and important infromation stored on any ICs.

ESD packaging is always a good thing, but I dont think that static from the conveyors will be a problem.
The baggage handlers throwing the bags around - very likely!

As far as the x-ray machines go, my stuff has passed through many machines many times with no ill effects.

Consider that on the average commercial flight:
90% of the passengers will have mobile phones
60% will have laptop computers
30% will have an iPod type device

All this stuff goes through at least one x-ray machine per flight.

How many times do you hear of stuff being damaged by the machines?
Not very often, probably never?

JimB

You might be a terrorist.
If you are a terrorist then you will be in big trouble at the border with your "bomb making parts".
Get rid of the cheap electronic parts before you enter the USA.

Maybe you should blow yourself up before coming to the USA.

I was flying from Ottawa back to Calgary a few years ago with my band while on tour. The Rent-a-Monkey at the security gate almost took my drum key away from me. He had never seen one before and thought I might try to dismantle the plane with it (he actually said that). Luckily his manager had actually been in a band and knew what the thing was and reassured the guy that there are no square-head bolts on the inside of a plane.

One time another security guard gave me the third degree because I had packed my comb inside my floppy disc box to save space. She thought this was quite suspicious.

I think highway flagpeople get more training than the outsourced airport security personnel we use these days.

Torben

Torben, you in a band? Got a myspace with music? Maybe you are going to be famous someday?

I have been in a few bands over the years. The longest time was 8 years with The Buttless Chaps but I left the band a couple years back, after my wife and I found out we were going to have a baby. I still do some playing around Victoria but I don't spend much time on the road anymore. The road is good but my boy is better. :)

I think there is still a MySpace page with some of the music on it. Aha, here it is: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=15225520

The music was all over the map, ranging from old-school country to New Wave, punk, electronica, etc. We called it "death country".

Torben

You might be a terrorist.
If you are a terrorist then you will be in big trouble at the border with your "bomb making parts".
Get rid of the cheap electronic parts before you enter the USA.

Maybe you should blow yourself up before coming to the USA.

Such a nasty place, why come at all. Go to Canada and visit AG instead, the Superior Canadian. :)

Last edited:
Ahem.All right. I give up.

Had some visitors at home yesterday. After seeing all my components spread out and some in neat little plastic covers, the first thing they said was "Hey arent these the same things they showed on tv after raiding that terrorist house?" I decided to give up at that point.

Suddenly my worry shifted from customs to my home-country airport police. There have been some threats and the last thing I want is being whisked away for interrogation. I might not even reach Sing Sing and end up in Puzhal (the local prison) :D

Horrible feeling to leave them back :(

Hey but just and JUST the PK2??? >-)

Well if your just visiting the US, I would think you would be more busy site seeing and such, hardly have time to make circuits. Where exactly are you going?

Also if you tell us the city your going to visit, you might get some good tips on sites to visit and good eating places :)

Puzhal? That is in Ibdia, not in Pakistan or another Islamic Arab country.

Many terrorists immigrate to Canada where they learn how to blow up people then they go to the USA.

The Indian guys in Canada drive taxi cabs.

Well heck, I think there are a few peeps here who can tell you about Minneapolis, sorry never been there. Going to the big U eh, heck you won't have time to build circuits as you will have your face stuck in math and chemistry books :)

Perhaps as Torben suggested, you could have someone mail your parts to you.

And don't take too much offense from what Scrooge says, he sometimes forgets to take a nap... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back