US Customs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mail is the way to go. Package up you goodies and have your parents or friends drop it in the mail after you are setup state side.

EDIT: A few decades ago it was common for many foreign students to ship most everything they had by mail. It was the cheapest way to go​

The U of M is a nice place. I visited the library's there a few times when I was doing research.

Things I like about mini-olie in no specific order.

Axman's electronic surplus. If you like Chinese food check out LeeAnn Chin's, both the take out and sit down.

If you enjoy that sort of thing check out the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre and the Ordway.

Minnesota Public Radio and Garrison Keeler's "Prairie Home Companion".

Science Museum of Minnesota

Minnesota Renaissance Festival

The Minnesota State Fair is said to be good.

Last edited:
Reached!

Neither in Sing Sing nor in Puzhal. And my cute PK2 came along with me. With some connectors and LCD displays

Jus settling in. Then will look out for Electronic stores. Will check out axeman's.

Will sign off now. Jetlag. Dunno if its day or night.

Reached!

Neither in Sing Sing nor in Puzhal. And my cute PK2 came along with me. With some connectors and LCD displays

Jus settling in. Then will look out for Electronic stores. Will check out axeman's.

Congratulations! Glad the gear made it through with you.

Will sign off now. Jetlag. Dunno if its day or night.

If you're still in Newark then it doesn't matter whether it's day or night.

Jet lag is a bear. When morning rolls around try to get up fairly early and go sit in bright sunlight for a while. I've always found that it can help the body clock reset faster.

Torben

About 8 years ago I was flying home from a two-week trip to Finland and Germany. I was selected for the "extra searches" when I got back to Vancouver International.

At the time, I had a large full beard, hair down to my thighs, an old trenchcoat, and a big floppy black hat covered in pins. So no real surprise that they picked me for extra searches.

I had been in Finland to finalize my divorce and in Germany to play in a memorial concert for my friend who had recently died of cancer. I also do not fly well, so I had taken every free Scotch offered to me on the flight back--which was quite a few, since I was flying on KLM.

Anyway, the customs agent was a pleasant young fellow. I was exhausted, hammered, and weaving noticeably.

The conversation was interesting.

Agent: "So sir, why were you in Finland?"
Me: "Um. . .personal reasons."
Agent: "I'm sorry sir, I really have to ask you to answer my questions fully."
Me: "sigh. . .OK, I was getting divorced."
Agent: "Oh man, I'm sorry."
Me: "It's OK."
Agent: "And why were you in Germany?"
Me: "Uh. . .personal reasons."
Agent: "Please sir, just answer the questions."
Me: "I was playing a memorial concert for a friend I used to play in a band with. He died of cancer."
Agent (by this time looking quite sad): "Oh jeez. Look, I'm really sorry about all this."

Then we had to scan my suitcase, which was broken, overfilled, and tied together with nylon rope. There were three opaque objects about 30cm long and 10-12cm wide. So the agent apologized again and we opened the suitcase. Turned out that the objects were wrapped gifts from my grandmother-in-law to my Mom.

Agent: "Did you wrap these?"
Me: "No."
Agent: "Do you know what they are?"
Me: "No."

Oh dear. Luckily they turned out to be leaded glass candleholders.

On with the interview:

Agent: "OK, just a few more questions. Do you ever use recreational drugs?"
Me (after a blank stare for a while, then a bit of a giggling fit): "Look at me, man. What do *you* think?"

Luckily, he laughed and offered to help me tie my suitcase back together.

Sometimes you just get lucky and get the right agent, I suppose.

Torben

Only too happy to oblige my dear. What color would you like that in? Can I gift wrap it for you?

Oh my, now that is inappropriate. Ok SV, this is an anonymous forum so I must ask you. Do you have a predilection for alcohol?

I only ask because you seem to come up with statements that are usually construed as impolite or improper. The majority of mature adults have learned to control their impulses and refrain from such remarks.

Surely they have manners in your part of the world, so what gives?

Last edited:

Oh come on now. You know she opened that can of worms. I believe she was testing the waters. I was just letting her know, she's definately got it

Huh? What's the fuss?

I knew DK is a he but if he were a she as SV thought, then I would deem those remarks as impolite. Thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…