Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB and PIC, friends or foes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiagoSilva

Hi, well, isn't this an nice topic ? well, where can i find some simple projects using USB with the on-chip PIC USB interface, on PIC !
The PIC subject is the PIC4550 and i'm interested on C language side of the story, any compiler that works this out.

I hope Nigel can make his 14th tuturial abouth this !

Have a nice weekend :D

A trip to double-u-double-u-double-u.microchip.com (no, no redirect) would reveal that they only support C language for the USB versions of their products. They provide examples and application notes up the wazzu for one and zilch for the other language. Yet still, the world cries help while I cry what a joke.

Last edited:
What's wrong with picking a language such as C as the officially supported language for the PIC 18F and above series, the C18 SE compiler is free, works with the entire 18F series and C is the language of choice for big projects anyway. I do like assembler but understand why Microchip chose C for the bigger projects.

Last edited:
**broken link removed** website is great for starting out as it has the basic schematics needed to emulate a USB dev board that the microchip tutorials use.

What's wrong with picking a language such as C as the officially supported language for the PIC 18F and above series, the C18 SE compiler is free, works with the entire 18F series and C is the language of choice for big projects anyway. I do like assembler but understand why Microchip chose C for the bigger projects.

I agree, I don't do C, but in this case they provide a free C compiler, which is used to write the application notes and datasheets, I see no problem in using C as they do.

Learn to read if not program C.

Imagine the problem for the person who speeks anything other then english or chineese.

A trip to double-u-double-u-double-u.microchip.com (no, no redthey only support C language for the USB versions of their products. They provide examples and application notes up the wazzu firect) would reveal that or one and zilch for the other language. Yet still, the world cries help while I cry what a joke.

Thank you all for your support !
The USB Bit Whacker sounds great (LOL...)

I must also thank for this url (**broken link removed**), it was what i really needed ! Since i work best with C# (i'm a pc/pda/web software dev., but no expert in assembler).

Thanks again, and again.

:D

The bit whacker was just good if i didn't mind using COM port emulation... but i want to make a real USB device without any king of ports emulation... And after having the PIC firmware developed i can use it with little changes on other projects as well.

I just didn't have where to start before, now i do :)

USB has some issues when it comes down to make programs on the PC because each USB device has an diferente USB chip and each chip needs an diferente drivers, that just does it...

I don't understand the END POINT, PID meanings, but i will try to spend more time on this, i think that USB is an great periperal interface.

:D

Just wanted to say that the com port emulation runs at USB speeds. The com port speed parameter is ignored.

I would guess that C# has a good support for USB. It is one of the things on the long list that I would like to futz with.

Have fun. :)

LOL i'm sorry to say this, but the framework it uses () has no no suport for USB... it only has an SerialPort component that allows communications with COM ports... very good component, works well with emulated ports, i had an experience with the SerialPort from an PDA's Bluetooth module... But it doesn't have USB or even LPT port support.
This is mainlly because each hardware manufactor develops an diferent driver and thus an diferent API for communicating with their devices... When someone whants to develop an program that works with an USB device on Windows he has to seek info about the USB chip used and get the API to work with... It's very boring actually, i'm bored of just think about it.
...anyhow, you can "wrap" (assign) methods (functions) headers to Dynamic Linked Libraries (DLLs) and use them as if using them with C... but it needs some work, for ex. you would need to define an WORD as being an common Int16, BYTE as a Char... etc...

The good stuff about C# is the .Net Framework, it has many things, like encryption algoritms implementations, IP stack with support for allmost everything that IP can carry...
cool UIs... fast development, integrated garbage collector... many things...

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back