Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB powered laptop coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

I have a Dell Inspirion 1150 laptop computer which has an older battery and the laptop really runs hot when playing any type of graphics though it.

I am looking into a USB powered laptop cooler to keep the unit cool and lasting a little longer on battery. I have heard stories of this laptop burning up and so I really just want to keep it from bursting into flames on my lap..............

I was looking at these two items but what are some good ones?

http://www.amazon.com/Powered-Effic...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1185930324&sr=8-2
http://quadcooler.com/products/coolers/quadcooler.htm?quadhomepage

Last edited:
I'm not sure the reason for this post? You posted links for the answer to your own question! All these coolers are DC blowers mounted in a thin base. The BEST cooler for your laptop is one that has the blower input windows exactly where your laptop naturally exhales it's hot air. If you want really effeciant find the fan outputs from your laptop and mount some kind of coupling to increase air flow. The fans found in a typical laptop are pathetic.

The USB powered fans will increase the drain on your battery and reduce the operating time.

All they do is cool the top of your lap ("laptop"): they do not cool the computer.

I think I'm going with the second unit...I may unwire one of the fans as the lower right corner stays really cool and I want to keep my laptop running as long as I can while running this setup.

My laptop has been flickering a little when it heats up now...most likely an overheating issue in the graphics card area. I know this wont cool the computer a great amount but its got to help a little by getting more air under the computer where all the air ports are.
From reading around it seems this laptop has a nice history for running really hot and even some cases of starting on fire and burning up.....

I was just wondering if there were any better products out that anyone here knew about...looks like the best one for me and overall is the Quadcooler.

does your screen flicker?????? i'm having the same prob, so if someone has an answer, i'd love to hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back