USB question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

I know this might not be the correct place for this but I also know you guys will be able to answer it, I have been searching on Google for about an hour to find out if you can connect two USB devices using a single single USB cable, without using a hub.

Seems like a simple question but I cannot find the answer anywhere, I have searched using terms like "daisy chain", "Y Cable" and loads of others but nothing really says YES or NO. The only thing that sort of implies you can is this

https://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/daisy-chaining-usb-cables-add-endless-connections/

Now, I know someone will say "just buy one of those" but I want to make my own cable, but don't want to blow a port on my PC doing it.

Hope someone can clarify this.

Steve

Hi Steve,

You need a hub to connect multiple devices to a USB port. If you find a Y-cable that works, then it will have a hub in it. The thing that allows you to plug USB devices into a keyboard is the hub inside the keyboard. Same goes for monitors with auxiliary USB ports and even certain USB extension cables (the hub is used to reconstruct the signal after it has degraded over the length of the cable).

"Y-cables" exist to doube the availabe power to a singe device, not to act as a hub.

In general, their has to be a master.

Oh, that link you provided is a concept only. It's completely possible to create such a connector, but it too will contain a two-port hub.

Also, here's your Y-cable: **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…