USB Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldeneye

Hey all,

I would like to share my home printer between 2 computers, I have heard that I can do this with a USB switch, can anyone give me some more information on these?

Just to clarify, you can "share" it by physically switching between one computer or the other, but you cannot have it actually accessible by both computers at once. All you should need to switch it is a simple switch - you'd need to switch the two data wires, and probably the power wire as well, so a 3PDT or 4PDT switch should do the job if you want to build something yourself.

A quick google search revealed a number of units that do this, most with 2-4 computer connections and 1 device connection, using simple pushbuttons to switch between PC's, but most seem to be $30 or more which seems steep to me.

Personally, I'd just network the PC's, hook the printer up to one, and share it over the network so both can print from it.

evandude said:
Personally, I'd just network the PC's, hook the printer up to one, and share it over the network so both can print from it.
or network them and get a simple print server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…