Using a 5.0pF capacitor instead of a 4.7pF

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimkasmir

I'm fairly new to circuitry and am trying to build this project: **broken link removed**

One of the components is a 4.7pF capacitor, but I only have a 5.0pF one. Would it be alright to use it instead or will it cause a problem?

It won't make any difference.

4.7 pF and 5.0 pF are so close that there is a large overlap of the tolerances.
The author of the article says you can use either.
Stray capacitance will make far more difference.
There is a tuning capacitor that would remove any difference in value.

I'm fairly new to circuitry and am trying to build this project: **broken link removed**

One of the components is a 4.7pF capacitor, but I only have a 5.0pF one. Would it be alright to use it instead or will it cause a problem?
There are several places in the text and on the schematic where the value is also stated as 5pF.

Last edited:
It is an extremely simple FM "radio" so its performance will be pretty bad:
1) It does not have an FM detector. You tune it to one side of a station's signal and it AM detects the slope. The AM detector picks up all kinds of snap, crackle and pop noises like an AM radio.
2) It oscillates at its receiving frequency which causes interference to other FM radios.
3) It is overloaded by strong local stations.
4) Its bandwidth is either too narrow so it causes distortion or too wide so stations interfere with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…