Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a Microcontroller to replace TTL & CMOS ICs

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many 74xx series TTL and 40xx CMOS ICs become harder to find and microcontrollers become more self contained and available.
It has generally been cheaper to use a microcontroller in complex TTL & CMOS designs but to replace one or two ICs seemed overkill.
PAL, GAL & PEEL were popular once and have evolved in to FPGAs

Well at $1 for some microcontrollers it's about the cost of some TTL / CMOS ICs I'm starting to use them in designs were I don't need the speed but I do need a custom function.

PS anyone here still use PALs or GALs? Can you even buy them anymore?

I'm amazed when I realize a single PIC microcontroller and a handfull of 'glue' components can replace the Frequency Counter I built in the mid-70's using discrete 74LS90 counters, 74LS75 4-bit latches, and 74LS47 display drivers.

I remember several companies coming up with large single chip up/down counter solutions later which integrating those discrete functions (Maxim still makes some very nice 4-digit up/down counter chips).

All in all, I believe every electronic hobbyist/designer worth his/her weight in resistors (grin) should make an effort to learn about these incredible devices and their capabilities for custom low-component-count logic replacement.

Kind regards, Mike

In 1980, I was using microprocessors (motorola and intel), and still needed TTL and CMOS chips. EEPROMS, RAM.

When I found the PIC (microcontrollers in general) I changed the way I did things on the spot. It is a custom chip for every occasion pretty much.. The flash on them and RAM built in. You can reprogram them, how can you beat it.. Everything in a single chip.

FPGA I sort of skipped over, but hear they are impressive, I have just not needed the speed or custom logic.

You do need a programmer for the microcontrollers (and FPGA), but a student/hobbyist can build one.

I agree with Mike, things have come a long way.

If the schools were up to date, they would teach microcontrollers. Maybe they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back