Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly new to electronics so this is a very simple question. I have a device that needs a constant 5v supply that I want to power off a 2S Lipo battery. I've bought a regulator and I'm asking what connections do I need to make between the battery, the VIN, VOUT and GND pins on the regulator and my device. An explanation and diagram of things would be very helpful.
Thanks.

What is the regulator? As n part number?

Ron

So a setup like this quick image I made? Do I just make a wire that splits of from the battery negative?
**broken link removed**

So a setup like this quick image I made? Do I just make a wire that splits of from the battery negative?
That would work. Or just connect two lengths of black wire to the battery GND. Hook one to the regulator and one to the load.

I would hook 2 wires to the GND on the regulator and hook one to the battery GND and the other to the load GND. It does not matter as long as all the GNDs are connected.

Your Lithium battery will be destroyed if discharged below 6V.
So your battery needs to have a protection circuit to disconnect its load when its voltage drops to 6V.

Sorry for taking my time to reply back. I made my wire harness and connected my switching regulator and it worked for a while until my device (a gumstix COM) reaches a certain part in booting then it turns off. I replaced the regulator with a standard linear one and it worked just fine. I made a post on the gumistx boards **broken link removed** and the person who replied said it might have to do with transient loads. Are they a common problem with switching regulators? Will using one with a higher switching frequency work? Any suggestions? I'd like to use a switching one since I'm using a battery.

Last edited:
You might try addding 50 or 100 ufd cap to the output of the supply. That should rule out any transient problems. Might also help if it is a brief over current problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back