Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using led driver as generic power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

skmdmasud

Hi..
recently i bought some led driver which can give output of 5w and 3w. The drivers are very cheap and incredible small in size. I tested the 3w driver it gives a max of 900mA at 12V . So i was wondering why not use this drives instead of transformers. Transformers requires rectifiers,caps and are much big in size. Is it a good idea?
20130924_180318.jpg 20130924_180150.jpg
20130924_180318.jpg
20130924_180150.jpg

Last edited:
Hi..
recently i bought some led driver which can give output of 5w and 3w. The drivers are very cheap and incredible small in size. I tested the 3w driver it gives a max of 900mA at 12V . So i was wondering why not use this drives instead of transformers. Transformers requires rectifiers,caps and are much big in size. Is it a good idea?

Most probably a VERY poor idea, it's liable to be a current output rather than a voltage one, and unlikely to have very safe isolation from the mains.

Most probably a VERY poor idea, it's liable to be a current output rather than a voltage one, and unlikely to have very safe isolation from the mains.

what if i put a cap and voltage regulator, will that work. How can i check if its main isolated or not? the output measured 12V not 220

Last edited:
what if i put a cap and voltage regulator, will that work. How can i check if its main isolated or not? the output measured 12V not 220

It's probably 'isolated', but probably not very safely, as it's a tiny (and cheap)transformer - and doesn't need great safety for it's intended purpose.

It would be best to draw it's circuit out, and see if it's regulated in any way - but you're probably not gaining anything if you're going to add smoothing and regulation on the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back