Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using my 16F628 with 12V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

I've just gone through Nigel's LED Section of his tutorial, so I really should be finishing the tutorial before I ask questions...

The question I have is:
This PIC, as far as I remember, cant work with 12V, and what I want it to do is go through all the possible combinations of my gate remote. My remote uses 12V, and hav 12 switches. The programming is my problem, and is a nice way of applying what I've learnt, but being a newbie to electronics (rewarding stuff this), I need to ask what transistors etc. you would recommend me using to accomplish my job. Simply, the pins on my little IC will give out 5v when I want the switch on, and 0V when I want it off.

Simply, what transistor should I use?

Note: please dont recommend a binary counter, 'cause I seriously cant get my hands on one here, I actually have to order it from another city a few hours away. (You only have a right to correct me here if you live where I do).
This situation is quite different eh? ...

What you need are fixed voltage regulators.Get an 5V one.They are mostly in TO-20 packeges.

No No No No NO

I am fine with the power to the PIC, I NEED to get power to the gate remote, and that is 12V per little switch thingy...

Sorry, shoulda made that clearer...

Thanks

shocking human
YOU RULE!

You may have truble fiting in 12 transistors AND the PIC whith the 5V regulator.

For others that may not get it he is making an garage door hacker. (there is one in the projects section too i think)

I know... :?

ITS GONNA BE HUGE!!!!! :lol:

they do, at least in the bigger establishments...

but, in a place like this, you can picture what knowledge like this, can do...

Yea its incredible simple to hack a garege door.All it takes is an normal remore whith the DIP switches replaced whith an binary counter.

Someone Electro said:
Yea its incredible simple to hack a garege door.All it takes is an normal remore whith the DIP switches replaced whith an binary counter.
Well, try to hack Keeloq remote then :D :lol:

If you check the "Hardware Extras" section of my tutorials, it shows how to feed 12V inputs to a PIC (simple single resistors) and how to feed 12V outputs (driver transistors).

PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED!!!
Not only am I getting some binary counters couriered, but I have read the hardware extras from Nigel's tutorial and have already gotten a little variety of transistors, thanks guys... :lol:
(In other words: I'll be making this thing twice!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back