Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using PC PSU for LED Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi.
I have 2x 5m 5060 led strip lights, i know the Amperage is 6 per 5m.
I was going to buy a power supply $65 for it but then realised i have a few computer psu kicking around and read the details.
One fairly new one i have is a 350w one and the output for 12v says 15A. would this be suitable to run the 2 led strips that will be joined into 1 long strip.

any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

That'll will work., If you need a little brighter, these are rated for Auto voltages with onbaord series R's so 9V dim to 14.2 brightest. and 12V nominal.
Some really old PSU's needed a bit of preload on +5V (10%), Can you measure when testing?
Two reels V drop is max suggested and for Amapacity on flex. cct (FPC) tracks.

Thanks.
The strips are 12v only so i was hoping to just hook to the rgb controller 12v direct to the 12v (groupng the 12v yellow wires together). so i dont need a regulator to maintain 12v from the psu but in saying that i would guess the psu would be accurate having that its powering the motherboard and its precious components?

cheers

like I said all strips I have seen rated at 12V run dynamically from 9 to 14.2 with variable intensity.

So obviously it will work

Morning Tony

Two reels V drop is max suggested and for Amapacity on flex. cct (FPC) tracks.

Amapacity or Ampacity = americanism for current carrying capacity of conductor

flex. cct / FPC = flexible conductive circuit tracks / Flexible PrintedCircuits

Two reels V drop ???????

You got me there !

S

Thanks musicmanager i think he means the two reels of led lights 2x5m and the voltage drop from one end of to the other when joined

Hi Stuee

Ah ! My novice knowledge leaps to the fore again ! The only translation I could find was an Irish dance and a throat lozenge :D

S

Since SMD LED reels use big R's the Voltage tolerance is wide but the conductors also have series power and ground resistance Rs which when cascading hundreds of LEDs , accumulates current in parallel strings of 3 or 4 , thus V=IRs drop or Voltage drop .

If one had a 1KW PC PSU, one could beef up the 12V bus and ground using household wire AWG16 to extend more LEDs or use a STAR topology instead of "daisy-chain" ... Then maybe 70% is +12V power up lots and lots of 10W to 30W reels. :woot:

5m Reels come in a wider power range... eg 50W or even more. Let me know if you want hundred's...

Tony..near Toronto

Note my current Avatar uses blue and Red LED handrail nightlights using SMD reels powered by an old 350W PSU with self-adhesive backing use about 18W each wired with telephone cable. One can even use the unused pair of wires for phones in the house with central DC power for the home with some reels even up to 14-16V if you account for a 2V drop.

I envision future homes will have central 24V or 48Vdc power just like ethernet, phone and AC and do away with all the DC bricks or wallworts. I use a 19V central laptop charger for most LEDs and then use arrays of 6x1W strings on MCPCB 1x6" in parallel and 12V reels on long lines from same. Depends on wire loss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back