UV EPROM Eraser

granddad

Most Helpful Member
I have been using flash and EEproms for various projects, but if speed <200ns is not a issue then I could save $$$ , and recycle some uveprom... at first thought seems a good idea, as i have a bag or various sizes , the drawback is the erasing , I had a eraser , but the bulb gave up the ghost years ago and the unit was from the 70's. Last week found a simple and cheap solution (YT link), a small hand held UVC lamp. says 260nm wavelength .there is no timer, the switch is held on for 3 sec, then pushed again for off.
I was a little skeptical , but a test today , worked fine , a 27C64 covered by the lamp for 10 minutes worked fine , the unit shown runs from a usb supply or 4 AAA batteries, draws about 300ma. Care has to be taken where the UV light is shone not into eyes or to skin . for that reason I will make a box for it , it will cover 2 x 28 or 2 x 32 pin devices and they fit perfectly against the UV light source .

Yes, UV LEDs. Does EPROM erasing require UVC? If so, nevermind

I saw a UVC light on the shelf with lamps at a thrift store recently, with a very smart warning label. I asked to talk to the manager and explained that "Oh look at the pretty blue light!" was going to cause eye damage to someone, and it shouldn't be on the shelf with lamps and a power outlet.

I was almost surprised when they took my comments seriously and pulled it from the shelf.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…