Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Value of Pulldown Resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

So today I finally started messing around with my SN754410, and I get it configured in a basic configuration (VDD1 5VDC, VDD2 3.6VDC) with the enables high and the grounds grounded. I have a LED with resistor on outputs 1 and 2 and without having anything on the inputs it is being pulled high. I know that a pulldown resistor will work but I was unsure of what the value would be, to prevent damage to the SN754410 if it was too low. I was thinking a 10K-100k?

You can connect the input directly to ground. The input voltage can be as high as 0.8V for a logic zero, and the input current is -10uA, so a pulldown resistor must be no larger than 80k. That would give you little or no noise immunity, with a worst-case part.

Last edited:
EDIT: Ok I see what you meant :)

I will use a 10k pulldown.

Last edited:
EDIT: Ok I see what you meant :)

I will use a 10k pulldown.
Damn strange. When I look at your post, I see this:
with no input (no connection, floating in air) the output is high.
Last edited by Krumlink; Today at 12:07 PM.
When I hit the Quote button to reply, I get what you see in the first line, above.

Hi Krumlink,

according to my experience TTL ICs require a very distinctive pullup or -down resistor.

As TTL chips generally work with negative logic an output pulls itself high (zero) with a floating input.

Pullup and pulldown resistors should be between 1K and 4K7, in extreme cases also 470Ohm may be used.

I had a malfunction with an D/A converter one day, always using the MSB when converting. The cause was trace resistance between the pad and the IC socket.

Hans

You can connect the input directly to ground. The input voltage can be as high as 0.8V for a logic zero, and the input current is -10uA, so a pulldown resistor must be no larger than 80k. That would give you little or no noise immunity, with a worst-case part.

Hi Ron,

I'm afraid a TTL chip with a pulldown resistor of 80K will do - nothing. TTLs require power, power and power.

Hans

I'm afraid a TTL chip with a pulldown resistor of 80K will do - nothing. TTLs require power, power and power.
The SN754410 is not a TTL chip. It's input requires only 10 microamps max. to maintain either a high or low input, so 80k ohms should work fine for a pulldown resistor.

I used 10k ohm resistors and it eliminated the problem.

Last edited:
The major reason to want to use a pulldown resistor is if you have to momentarily pull the input HIGH with a switch.

I don't much like pulldown resistors. In TTL, you have a wide window (or target) to shoot for when pulling up, i.e., there's a broad range of voltage that TTL considers to be a logical HIGH. On the other hand, when pulling LOW you have a very narrow window as a target -- only 0.8v as Ron mentioned. It takes a much lower value of pulldown resistor to get that LOW low enough that you have a guaranteed LOW that won't be susceptible to noise at the input or on the power rails. Where I can use a 1K or 10K resistor to pull LS TTL to a HIGH, it may take less than 100 ohms to get it to a LOW.

If you have to have pulldown, you're better off driving that input with an inverter and pulling the inverter's input to a HIGH.

Dean

Dean, that would over complicate things and I am connecting directly to ground, and logical high is 5VDC for this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back