VB or Labview ?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephselim

Hi....
i have a problem, i am in dilemma ,,
i wanna monitor the serial port , which language is better VB or labview ??
please, some body help me, i am goin' crazy,
i didn't deal with any one of them before
:cry:
somebody tells me Joseph go this way .... :arrow:

well Joseph i have to tell you that "the language debate" has been brought up a number of times on different topics on different discussion boards all around the web. but there is no end to these debates. everyone has their own point of view based on their knowledge and experiences.

personally i would have used Matlab. but if you have Labview then i believe that it is a better choice because you have alot of options for displaying the data.

LABView works ok for monitoring the serial port and yes, displaying the data is really easy and you have lots of ways to do it. LABView is event driven so your program has to wait for the data before it does anything else. The whole graphical programming thing is not my favorite either.

But either (or really both) is good to know, Labs increasingly want some LABview experience so it's definately worth learning.

Josephselim would your please explain what you want to do? do you want to get data from the serial port from an external system? if that is so then what do you want to do with it?

if its simple as just getting the data then i think that using the hyperterminal would be better. but if you want to do something like an FFT on the data then i would recommend Labview.

Josephselim would your please explain what you want to do? do you want to get data from the serial port from an external system? if that is so then what do you want to do with it?
i am dealing with GPS receiver module, so i want to monitor the incoming stream of bits ( hexa decimal ) then select some bytes ( latitude, longitude, velocity, .... etc ) and desplay it as a decimal ,
and i hope that i could interpret these values on a map as a pointer to enable a survey for my project ... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…