Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VB script file issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TtOoWwAa

Hi,
first of all , i am not sure if this is in the right forum category but i am sure it is.
I am wanting to be able to add the NetworkService account to he welcome screen in windows XP, the only help i could get after researching and asking was a registry tweak from a registry tweaking website;

the file adds the 'administrator' account to the welcome screen

here is the modified VBS code:
https://pastebin.com/NA7k9Q7c

the original code had errors in it which i managed to fix with a little help from somebody and so did the modified code but again, they are fixed, maybe there is some more but i am not sure
the binary data does change in regedit from 0 to 1 or whatever its set to curretently and set at.
if it worked then it should show the 'NetworkService' account in the welcome screen.
the original code adds the 'administrator' to the welcome screen sucessfully and edits the binary data in regedit.

i think windows is allowing the registry to be edited but is disallowing the user to show up, so i will probably need to extend my code after making sure there are not errors or faults in it.

Last edited:
I doubt what you are trying to do is possible. "The NetworkService account is a predefined local account used by the service control manager. This account is not recognized by the security subsystem, so you cannot specify its name in a call to the LookupAccountName function. It has minimum privileges on the local computer and acts as the computer on the network".

The VBScript you mentioned does little more than what can be done using regedit from a command prompt and editing the registry. The revised version just changed which name under UserList Name is edited. However, looking at the XP registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

While the administrator account is visible and the data value can be set to 0 or 1 (1 making the account visible at start up) I do not see the NetworkService account? Not on the Windows XP Professional SP 3 machine I am looking at anyway?

Does that account actually exist on the system you are working with? Meaning if you navigate the registry on the system to that location do you actually see that name? Or was the name created? You can create a new string value but I doubt it would do anything.

I don't believe the NetworkService account is an account that can be logged onto at logon.

Ron

i can log into the account from command prompt from another account

i think its possible to do anything in windows with VB i just have to reaearch and learn

the account is in the registry
and in local users and groups and in documents and settings

i will try searching the internal IP,domain/workgroup ,SID

i do recall seeing a list of SID's for accounts and that one was in it. but maybe its just me

Last edited:
Let us know how it goes as I would be curious.

Ron

will do, the other forum website members are scardey cats and wont help me :D

after a quick Google i found that the NetworkService account has the SID of S-1-5-20. and to make sure, i checked in windows registry and got:

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back