Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vehicle Headlights Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

avz

Hi all
I'm after a device which I'm sure exists, so I see no sense in reinventing the wheel. so, if smeone knows where I can find the circuit diagram, please let me know. the device should connect the headlights after a short delay from the time the ignition key was turned "on" and keep it turned on as long as the ignition key is on. after the key is turned "off", the lights will remain on for a short delay and then it will turn off. I need it because I forgot more then once my headlights.
Thanks.

Google "Day Time Running Lights Conversion/Addon/Kit ect."

Here is just one of many : Daytime Running Lights Kit 20013VA

It don't have the courtesy light feature you desire, but you may be able to find one that does.

Making your own wouldn't be too hard. You would need a relay that could handle the current your headlights draw (and its a fair amount). The coil of the relay could be tied into something on your fuse panel that is hot with the key "ON" and off with the key "OFF" like the radio. For the delay you would need to add a circuit and a transistor that would keep power to the coil for the desired length of time. Search for some delay circuits here, or on google and you will get an idea of ways it can be done.

EDIT: Here is one that may do just what you want. **broken link removed**

Last edited:
It's aint that simple

Thanks for you response. its not that simple because you need a delay of let's say 3 sec between the ignition key turn "on" and the lights going on. then the delay has to go back to "off"/low state but the lights should remain "on" (some sort of latch or relay self hold) and then when the ignition key is turned off the lights should remain on for 2-3 sec. I'll look into the links you have sent.
Thanks again.

I would imagine that a mere delay before switching on the lights is impractical.
Imagine that your battery is already flat, or very nearly so. There may only be enough oomph left in it to actually crank the engine.

Better I would think to take a voltage measurement from the battery supply, and trigger the light switch at say 14.5v, that way the lights can only come on automatically after the engine is running.

I suppose there are other ways to achieve this too, for example you could monitor the output of the crank sensor, assuming the engine/ car is young enough to have one, and switch the lights on when crank speed reaches say 500-600 rpm. Easier though I would think to just monitor the battery voltage threshold.

Use that method in combination with a supply, like the one for the radio as suggested, to switch off the lights again after a small delay period has elapsed.

rgds

Most daytime running lights are dimmed.
Oriental people drive at night with the dimmed daytime running lights on then they turn on the parking lights instead of the headlights. They cannot see the road.

Chrysler cars and Jeep trucks use very bright high beams as daytime running lights. On a cloudy day they are blinding and everybody cannot see the road.

That is a different issue

You have mentioned points that to your opinion are "cons" why not to use DRL. the fact is that car manufacturers install it as standard equipment since it was proven that it increases the safety of driving. since I'm convinced that that is the case' that is the reason that I want to build it and add it on my car.
Thanks.

Of course daytime running lights increase the visibility of cars and are safer. But they should be designed so that stupid people cannot drive at night without normal headlights and they should not be undimmed blinding high beam lights.

My car has automatic headlights and the daytime running lights are the amber turn-signal lights.

Thanks for you response. its not that simple because you need a delay of let's say 3 sec between the ignition key turn "on" and the lights going on.

What is this for? If your car won't start with the lights on, your battery is likely bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back