Very Simple Idea Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike96

Hi, I'm making a clock and what I want is for when the hour hand passes/is passing over a certain hour (3, 6, 9, 12), an LED on that hour lights up.

How would this be possible?
Am I asking in the right place?

Thanks for any responses.

Ok.. I guess I just jumped right in without looking.
I have no idea how that works, I was thinking it would be something simple but looking at the 'datasheet' for that, I'm way out of my depth.

And I don't understand how the second one works, though it sounds pretty simple.

BTW in case it wasn't blatantly obvious, I have never done electronics before.

Last edited:
Perhaps a magnet on the hand & 4 reed switches mounted behind the clockface (obviously reed switches connect to the LEDs).

The idea is not worthy on making on existing mechanical clock. If you're making a digital clock using a pic module then it would be easy to program. I think reed switch or any other mechanical arrangement will interrupt the free movement of the clock. Other things like a motion detector or IR interrupt based switching we can't do here . If you're a clock manufacturer then the below setup will work out.

*)Imagine you've placed holes corresponding to digits 3,6,9,12
*)There's a one more round plate below the dial attached to the hour wheel and a single hole corresponding to hour hand direction.
*)LED backlight.
*)Obviously the corresponding holes of digits will be lit when the plate moves below that

Hi Mike96,

the idea sounds great, but solutions depend a lot on the size of the clock.

You could for instance use reflective IR-barriers mounted behind the clock face and have them sense the hands through small (pinhead) holes.

There are real tiny reflective IR-barriers on the market focusing on anything between 2 and 10mm.

Give us an idea of your clock size, please.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…