Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

very, very 12v split second delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtr33m

This topic has been covered here before, but in this case I'm looking for a very simple, ie one or two component solution that is not mission critical if it doesn't work every time.

Essentially I have a small relay that triggers a switch on a reversing camera setup when the car is put into reverse. This works fine, however I don't want it to trigger the relay when car is taken from park to drive. There is a split second where the shift lever passes through reverse that I don't want to activate the relay.

I am a complete novice, but figured that some sort of resistor capacitor combination would give me the split second delay I need, especially since I am only driving a relay and nothing else.

I can purchase a time delay relay but I'd rather use the relay I already have and have something that fits inside the existing box.

Thanks,

Mark

What coil current does your relay draw?
Is the switch to the relay coil in the +ve lead or in the ground (-ve) lead?

The relay is a 221D012 dpdt PCB type. Information I can find says 2 amp, but I'm not sure if that's the draw or the Max current it can handle. 2 amps sounds very high for such a small relay.

If I understand your to the question properly, the switch to the relay is to the positive, as the power to the relay coil comes from the reverse light +, whereas the relay itself is connecting the - to a point on a board which switches the input on the screen.

Hope this makes sense. I know the terminology is all wrong.

Mark

Last edited:
Delay

Something like this should work. Almost any P Channel FET will work, but since it is in a car a 60 volt or higher might be advised.

Thanks so much.

I think I have the diodes and resistors in my junk drawer already. Could I change the cap to a 22uf? I ask because I already have a bunch of these left over from another project.

Mark

gtr33m;1070080 [quote said:
Could I change the cap to a 22uf? I ask because I already have a bunch of these left over from another project.

Sure, It will just make the delay a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back