Via at SMD pad question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

What if any are the problems associated with placing a via directly on an SMD pad? The software I used at my old job (Mentor Graphics PADS) had a setting in the autorouter to either allow or disallow the placement of vias on SMD pads (like on a surface mount capacitor pad to tie it to a ground plane). Does this pose problems during reflow or what caveats about the practice should I know?

Thanks!

Last edited:

I have never seen a via directly on a pad. What I have seen though is the via off to the side of the pad. Kinda like [] []o

I was thinking the via hole plating process would result in a raised area on each side of the PCB. The part could not sit flat. Maybe check with the PCB people.

Sad thing is I've actually done it before at that same job, but I think I had the technician assemble that board for me.

If I may back peddle.

Yesterday when reading about a QFP chip they wanted you to put vias under the chip to help the solder vent gases as large center pad under the chip reflowed.

I found an article that may interest you.

Here is a blurb from the article.

Link to article.
SMT - Vias in SMT Mounting Pads

I would say, for hand soldered boards, this may be okay, but anything else I would think not a good idea.

If any via is left open, solder will be sucked through the hole and the result will be a bad joint. Also, small solder spheres could be generated on the opposite side of the board with the risk of short circuits.

If you use vias to improve thermal performances of IC's - as for QFP/QFN packages for examples - I would make sure that solder is not applied over.

there is no problem with having the via under the pad as long as there is sufficient solder paste to fill the via as well as solder down the part.

Another trick used is to put a solder resist grid down ensuring all the solder does not go down the hole. It is often an iterative process to determine how much paste to put down to ensure a solid joint while preventing the formulation of solder balls.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…