Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Video noise,,, HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledsales

Any idea how I could shield a homemade video cable from interference from alternator, Inverter Charger and generator frequencies?

I made the cable from regular automotive 24-gauge wire and wrapped it with heavy rubber tape and followed that with electrical tape, this does not work so well.

This application is on a motor home, that’s why there is so much interference.

Will a simple foil wrap grounded on one end do the trick?

where can I find a scource for this kind of wire?

The appliaction I am working on uses a 4 pin connector that is no longer avalible.
I had to remove the ends to extend this cable.

What can I do to make it work properly?

There are a number of types that should work, but it sounds like you will have to adapt the cable to your connector. Can you please post a photo of the connector, and show how the cable attaches to the connector if still attached. The most common cable used for video distribution in a home is coaxial cable, usually called either RG6 or RG59. The RG6 is better but they would probably both work. You can buy these by the foot at Home Depot or you can also buy pre-made lengths with some coaxial connectors already installed, but it sounds like your connectors are unusual. Can you also describe what equipment this hooks up to. I ask because I'm wondering if it carries baseband video signal or television signals. It makes a difference to how you attach the connectors.

I dont have any pictures of this application, this unit is away at this time.

It is a rear view moniter on a motorhome.

It is black and white.

I can tell you however that it has 4 pins to connect the camera to the monitor.

this unit also has audio but we do not need audio in this application

It has 1 red wire in the line that is coaxial type, looks like a typical 18 guage wire, but has an inner wire and insulator with a braided wire around it all inside the red insulation.

all together it has 5 wires counting the 2 that are in the red wire.

Im not much on electronics, I hope this helps

Thanks
Jim

Sounds like that red wire is just like the typical shielded wires that you usually get with a VCR or stereo equipment to hook up the different components together (they are usually paired for stereos). In your case, since the video is baseband, you can probably use the same kind of wire and just splice it inline and/or break out (separate over the last one inch or so) the center conductor and shield at the connector. I'm not sure where the most convenient place would be to get bulk lengths of this kind of wire. It is easy to buy it with RCA plugs on the ends from Walmart or other stores in shorter lengths, like 25 or 50 feet. I think it is going to be difficult to buy it in bulk so getting finished cables and cutting the ends off would be OK.

It is essential that you use shielded wire for video as you have discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back