Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

video signal detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevee

Hi everyone,

I'm part way through a project which will distribute component video over cat5 .. using a nice circuit from ePanorama.

One feature I would like is to have a standby mode, such that if no video signal is being received, the cat5 drivers are switched off. I've looked, but cannot find a reference circuit for this.

A circuit that could give a boolean result if the average input voltage > 0.3v would suffice .. I think. Thoughts, ideas appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

you could try a LM1881, I'm sure these little work-horses could do it.

Slice the sync off the video with a sync seperator, then use that to feed a 555 connected as a missing pulse detector (essentially the incoming pulse discharges the capacitor and stops it timing out) - once the sync pulses cease, the 555 will time out normally. You can obviously adjust the 555 timing for how long you want this period to be.

Thanks for the info.

I've found a circuit that with an LM1881, it uses the sync pulse to charge a capacitor .. thus giving the +ve indication I need to switch a relay. If this doesn't work, then I'll try the 555 missing pulse circuit.

Cheers,

stevee said:
Thanks for the info.

I've found a circuit that with an LM1881, it uses the sync pulse to charge a capacitor .. thus giving the +ve indication I need to switch a relay. If this doesn't work, then I'll try the 555 missing pulse circuit.

Basically both the same thing - missing pulse detectors - the capacitor charging version though will initially mute the video until it's charged sufficiently to un-mute, but this obviously isn't a problem for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back